Maybe a blighted ovum

iVillage Member
Maybe a blighted ovum
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 7:55pm

On tuesday, my husband and I

Kimmy
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 9:26am
I'm sorry you're going through this. They should be able to see a baby long before 12 weeks...I know its such a hard thing, especially when you have no warning signs like cramping or bleeding. When we lost our DS my body never did anything on its own. We had gone in for our 20 week us and they told us the baby had been dead for over a week. I guess sometimes your body doesnt wanna realize that its just not gonna happen this time. I dont know much about a d&c since I was too far along, I didnt get that options. All I know is they had to induce me since i didnt do it naturally and had to deliver the baby . Keep us posted, and no matter what happens, don't be afraid to try again.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 10:26am
what is your bloodwork showing? can you get a second opinion?

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Will definitely be thinking of you!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 3:07pm

siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 11:34pm
Hi, I'm not sure if you'll check back on this post, but was curious, I have read a couple of your posts and since you have been so open, I thought I'd ask, did you get any explanation as to what happened to your son at 18-19 weeks? It seems so late to lose a baby, did they ever figure out what went wrong? Did you have any u/s before this one at 20 weeks? If so when, and was there any indication anything was wrong w/ baby at that point? I hope I'm not being too forward. Let me know if these questions are too personal.
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 11:38pm
I was just wondering what happened at your followup u/s? (Not even sure if you're here on the boards any longer, but thought I'd see). If it didn't work out, I hope you are able to return to ttc quickly.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-29-2011 - 1:18pm
Hey, we never got an answer as to what happened. We had 3 u/s prior to that one and everything was normal. A week before we heard the heartbeat on the doppler at my OB's office. I think thats what made it so hard, I never had any signs, or answers. I didnt cramp, or bleed... he just.. stopped growing. This sunday (Oct 2nd) was my due date for him... which is making this week pretty hard. They did an autopsy, but we havent gotten any results yet. They tested me for everything they could think of before I delievered him (18 tubes of blood and 10 more the next day) and nothing came up wrong. They did tell us that when they do an autopsy of a baby that isnt full term, 95% of the time they wont find anything. So I'm assuming we'll never know what happened.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-29-2011 - 3:09pm

With my first pg, I went in for my 18-week appt and they couldn't find a hb. I hadn't had any previous ultrasounds, but we had heard the heartbeat at 10 and 14 weeks. When they did an ultrasound at 18 weeks to check on why there was no heartbeat, they said the baby wasn't developed much beyond a 14-week fetus, so it had likely died shortly after that appointment. I never had any cramping or bleeding and even felt morning sickness as severely as I had before. So, yeah, it was quite a surprise!

I'm one of those weird ladies who doesn't really freak out about these kinds of things, and, to me, the D&C was easy. No emotional issues, and very little discomfort. It was done at a very small hospital, so the nurse had no other patients but me. That drove me crazy because she sat at my bedside the ENTIRE time. And, at one point, when I said I was tired, she sent my DH away so I could get some rest. I was really frustrated with that recovery experience, simply because of the hospital and its staff. The D&C itself, though, was very smooth. I was anesthetized, so I never saw or felt anything, except the obvious issues of recovering from anesthesia and a small amount of cramping afterward. The bleeding lasted only a couple of days. I had lost a fair amount of blood during the procedure, though (they said they considered a transfusion), so I just had to take it easy for a few days when I got home.

The dr said I could start trying for another immediately after my hgc levels returned to normal, but after being so sick, I decided to wait awhile. Once we started trying again, it took 4 months and I got pregnant with my DD - had a totally normal and uneventful pregnancy and delivery.

Good luck to you - I hope all goes well for you and that whatever you've decided about it (D&C or natural), it's worked out okay.

Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 9:34pm
Wow, that is so scary that there were no warning signs or explanation (my biggest fear!) Seems like it was just a fluke incident. I can imagine it must be very difficult as this dd approaches.