Preterm Labor and bed rest

iVillage Member
Preterm Labor and bed rest
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 7:57pm

Today while at work (I take care of dementia patients) I started having cramping which turned into contractions. I figured it was the usual BH that I have been having. Then a few hours later had to use the bathroom and when I wiped found pink tinged discharge. I freak out because I am 27 wk 4 days!

So I call the Dr. Who sends me to labor and delivery. Me thinking I jumped the gun and I probably have a nasty UTI reluctantly head into the hospital. I had to give a urine sample and get hooked up to the monitor while I wait. After about 15 min the nurse comes back and says well you are having contractions. I'm thinking yea no kidding...?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-11-2012 - 6:33pm

Wow! At least you were able to keep her in for that long! Man kudos to you 8 weeks on bedrest yikes!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 1:29pm
How is it going now? Feeling any better?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 9:13pm

Wow! I just read all this. Sending lots of 'stay put baby vibes' your way mama! How are things now?

P and pt

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 12:32am

I was just reading your story and it sounds like a really rough time.

I was put on bed rest with my DD at 20 weeks because I was having loads of contractions and crazy back pain. Fortunately, I never dilated (and in the end, was induced, still didn't dilate and needed a c/s). I'm not sure what was harder, being completely stir crazy or being constantly on edge because I had to monitor every contraction (each time just praying it would stop and not turn into labor.)

This time around I have a different doc, but they told me I have an irritable uterus. I was having quite a few contractions from 16 weeks, but my doc said that because I never dilated with DD I don't have to worry unless I see other signs of labor.

I'm glad you are taking it seriously, I hope that it turns out to be nothing to worry about (but there's no way to know ahead of time).

In the meantime, I found that having a bit of a "routine" to my days on bedrest helped me feel more sane. And I borrowed a lounge chair from a friend that I could lay on outside for a while each day (I'm in LA so I could do this in winter.) Sunshine made a huge difference in my temperment.

I hope you get lots of visitors and lots of helpers. Every day that goes by that you are still pregnant is like 3 days the baby would be in the hospital if she were born today so every day you spend growing your little one is a major accomplishment even if it is all done from your bed.

Best wishes for a beautiful, healthy mom and baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 10:25am

Awe thanks for checking on me :)

I have my days. For the most part the contractions are sporadic. I go a day with out any at all, and then I will have a day where nothing I do will get them to stop and just before I make the decision to head back to the hospital they stop!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 10:53pm

Just a question, since you were worried about the money and work in the healthcare industry...Are you and your coworkers allowed to "gift" your pto or sick leave? Maybe have one of your friends at work

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 3:18pm

Gosh that would be great! By unfortunatly we aren't allowed to do that with my company :( Thankfully tax season was very nice to me this year. And if I play my cards right I'll be OK!

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages