Preterm Labor and bed rest

iVillage Member
Preterm Labor and bed rest
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 7:57pm

Today while at work (I take care of dementia patients) I started having cramping which turned into contractions. I figured it was the usual BH that I have been having. Then a few hours later had to use the bathroom and when I wiped found pink tinged discharge. I freak out because I am 27 wk 4 days!

So I call the Dr. Who sends me to labor and delivery. Me thinking I jumped the gun and I probably have a nasty UTI reluctantly head into the hospital. I had to give a urine sample and get hooked up to the monitor while I wait. After about 15 min the nurse comes back and says well you are having contractions. I'm thinking yea no kidding...?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 9:05pm

Sorry you went through all of that. I had something similar and thought I would share. With my 3rd pregnancy at 27 weeks

siggy
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 9:07pm
Oh dear ((Hugs)) Well it sounds very promising that your cervix is closed and you passed the FFN. I pray it was just a case of irritable uterus and once you relax and are off the meds you will be able to come off bedrest. I had a bout of pre-term labour when I was 33 weeks with my 2nd. I came off bedrest at 36 weeks thinking he would be born anytime and he was still 8 days overdue. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident and you can go on to have a healthy full-term pregnancy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 9:19pm
Hopefully that baby stays put. I had tiny bit of bloody mucus today ....no contractions no pain no sex so Idk.
I had a nephew born at 28 weeks. He's now 16 and no problems. Girls do better then boys. Its not what you want but if it did happen I think you will be fine.
Keep us posted. Take care and hopefully you can with three boys.:/
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 9:51pm

((((Hugs)))) I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I hope baby stays put until term. It sucks about the bedrest and work. I know it must be very stressful for you, definitely something you don't need to deal with now!

Karen

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 9:59am
I'm so sorry you have to go through that! bed rest is really not fun, Iwas on it for 2 months at the begining of this pregnancy. I'm sure the financial part of it really doesnt help with the stress! Hopefully it works out and LO stays in there longer! kup
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 1:57pm
Oh my, take it easy! I know that's easier said than done. Do you have anyone who could help you out? That's a tough situation. I do agree with everyone else though, we are rapidly approaching a good phase in baby's development and hopefully the meds can hold you off.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 9:57pm

I do thank goodness have my Mom to help with the boys. I don't know what I would do with out her honestly. And very true we are getting closer to the safe side of the fence.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 9:58pm

Bed rest is defiantly easier said than done. And I am only one day into it. Oh my! At least it is towards the end I suppose. I am hopeful that for whatever reason my uterus was just irritated and it will all pan out to be just some freak thing. I have heard a lot of reassuring stories. So my goal is to slow WAY down and enjoy the rest of this pregnancy and try not to stress over money and things.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2012 - 7:54am
so scary!!! I can't imagine having a micro preemie either. You get in bed and stay in bed and keep that baby cooking!! Hang in there! :)
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2012 - 4:31pm

I went into PTL at 27wks with my 9 year old. I was 3cm & 30%. Hospitalized a few days, given steriod shot and sent home on COMPLETE bedrest. Was only allowed to get up to bathroom & to take a 5 minut shower every other day. Oh and dr appts, I was seeing both my OB & the high risk OB weekly. For those, my hubby took the middle seat out of our van & made a bed for me there. I continued to progress throughout the time. I went in for my 34wk OB appt & was 5cm & 90%. Ob said to make my appt for the next week just in case... 35wks came and I was still pregnant. I was closer to 6cm & like 99%. She said she wouldn't be suprised if I went THAT NIGHT but to make my appt for the next week just in case.

That night, I was reading to my son & POP! followed by gush! Went to ER, waddled my leaking butt in & pissed off a bunch of people standing in line.

It was funny, when my OB walked in my room, she says, "Why am I not suprised". 2hrs later I had a baby. 35wkr. Had been on bedrest for 8 weeks. She stayed in the NICU for 2wks and came home the day before my son turned 1. She was having major issues with keeping her heart beating. It would often stop. But that's totally been resolved.

All will turn out ok in the end. Please keep us posted.

Brandie Lilypie - Personal picture

Pages