18 weeks, low placenta and "stress" of finding a new home before baby's birth

iVillage Member
18 weeks, low placenta and "stress" of finding a new home before baby's birth
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 11:08am

Hi all -

I just had my 18 week appointment - (due April 5th) with my 3rd child. I was told my placent was "low" and they would want to do another ultrasound at 32 weeks to make sure it's corrected itself. I have had two vaginal deliveries that went very well and I am so disheartened about a c-section - the unknown. With two children I am so afraid of recovery time, etc.

Anyway - I wondered if anyone else has been told this around the same time frame as well as if anyone knows of anyone who was told this and it corrected itself.

Also, we recently relocated to Maine and now we are in-between houses - renting a smaller house and searching for a larger one. I can't believe how stressed I am about finding a new home for us before the baby's birth.

Is anyone else going thru something similar? If so, how are you dealing with the stress and anxiety of it?

Thanks -

Anne

iVillage Member
I'm sorry you're having some stress right now. It's hard to relax some and just let things happen, I'm not good at that either, but there is still a lot of time for both issues to fall in place.

I don't have personal experience with the low placenta but I have heard that they can move and be of no concern later. I would think it's in your favor if it is just low right now and not near previa stage. That is a long wait to know for sure but hopefully it all will be just fine. Try not to worry about that, there is nothing you can do to change it. Just think positive and see what the 32 week scan shows. I'm sure you'd hate to take on the stress for nothing. And if you have to have a c-section, you can plan for it then.

Hang in there!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Hi Anne!

I have had a low-lying placenta at the 20 week u/s in two of my previous pregnancies and it corrected itself by the 3rd trimester both times. It is very common so try not to worry about it at all until your 32 week u/s.

We are in a similar living situation. Over the summer we relocated somewhere new and we are currently renting because the home we own in our former city still hasn't sold. We took it off the market and are renting it out to family and we plan to relist in the new year and hopefully it will sell and then we can buy something here. I hate not having a nursery to decorate or even knowing where we will be living when the baby comes. I am just trying to go with the flow though since there is very little I can do about it :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Hi,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
with one of my pregnancies (can't remember which one) i had a low laying placenta at 15 or 16 weeks. It corrected itself. I think I was 20 something weeks when they checked. I have a feeling it was with Marcel and they checked around 24 weeks since I was getting another u/s then anyways. It is very common. Also with my first I had to move out before the baby was born because the apartment we where renting was being sold. It was 6 months before we would have been ready to move financially and it is stressful. sorry you have to go through it.
iVillage Member

BIG HUGS! I am also in my 3rd pregnancy. With my 2nd pregnancy i also had a 'low' placenta around this time (im 18 wks now too) and it did correct itself.. My ultrasound tech wasn't worried at all, she said they all grow up if they are low-- if it would have been OVER the cervix then that would be different. Is your covering the cervix partially now at all? I also had to sell my house (find a seller) and also find a new place and move during my last pregnany. I've never been so stressed in my whole entire life...really. I cried a LOT. it was the only way i could relieve my stress-- i was having heart palpitations it was so bad. HUGS> I would take warm baths 7 nights a week, and cry.. that would help me a lot actually. Journaling is also good :) Do you have any prospects for a new place??

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
I have had this too....
The dr. told me....... if you imagine a balloon and you were to put a piece of gum just inside the neck of it and then blew up the balloon the piece of gum would move up the side of the balloon and it grew. And most likely move completely away from the opening (cervix).. (gum=placenta) (balloon=uterus)
I totally understood after her description. Hope this helps. ;)