Accessory lobe placenta?

iVillage Member
Accessory lobe placenta?
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 10:08pm

Anyone heard of this? At my 20 week ultrasound the tech said i had an accessory lobe placenta. Basically i have a big placenta and a small one attached next to it. Very uncommon (16 in every 10,000 pregnancies) and bc the 2 are connected by blood vessels can be serious during delivery if it ruptures? Im freaked of course. Also can be caused by conceiving twins and mother losing one twin (my 2 massive bleeding episodes?) and retaining the second baby. wth? idk ive had to SMOOTH pregnacies prior to this and this just worries me. Also if the umbilical cord is attached to the small placenta it can cause problems with growth. Im worried. if you wouldnt mind saying a prayer i'd appreciate it. Oh, and its a GIRL! :) (I have 2 boys so im thrilled)

Any info on this would be appreciated thx

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 10:18pm
Congrats on your girl! I can see why you would be nervous but hopefully everything will be okay. I have never heard of that before!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 11:24pm
I can't say I've heard of it either. It sort of throws me for a loop, but it sounds like it would make sense with your two bleeding episodes before. I'm sending positive thoughts your way on baby girl! :)

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 3:46pm
I've never heard of that before either, but i'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out fine... and yay for a little girl!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 8:29pm
Well..

Yet another odd thing I do have experience with. I started bleeding with my last baby. At 28 weeks. Went to er and they did a ultrasound. They said I had a pinnacle. Basically a small attached island to my large placenta. They said it was like florida attached to the states. They couldn't tell where I was bleeding was from. But they had never mentioned it at the 20 week ultrasound. Everything was fine and I had a beautiful baby girl. They never said why or what but didn't act too concerned. The bleeding stopped as soon as it started and never had it again. My doctor didn't say anything negative about it. I think they definty could tell where the umbilical cord is attached weather the big or little one. Keeps us posted and try not to worry im sure it will be fine. ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 8:14am
Congratulations on a girl!! That certainly would explain your bledding while still finding a heartbeat. I wonder if they even considered a twin loss during those but didn't mention it to you. Hopefully there are no complications any more! Do they think you'll have to have a c-section to keep everything controlled?
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 9:30pm

Sorry just saw this :) Well i guess this problem would normally increase my risk of c section (delivered naturally other 2 times, no meds, and its not what i want but would be ok with if it were safer) but i guess the darn placenta and 'lobe' have migrated to an anterior position against my stomach. so risky c section. they said they are going to do another ultrasound in january to ck it though :) my docs are so super niiiiiiice and supportive i love them it helps my anxiety about this :)

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 9:36am

Do not worry!! I also had an accessory lobe placenta, and had absolutely no problems during my pregnancy or delivery. In fact, my doctors didn't even notice the double placenta until after the delivery. My daughter is very strong for her age, and could even hold her head up before we even left the hospital. I like to think it is because she had

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2012 - 2:38pm

THANK you! Relieved to hear of a good/normal outcome for someone :)

pregnancy calendar