Alright, I have to go there.....constipation!!!

iVillage Member
Alright, I have to go there.....constipation!!!
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 12:07pm

Does anyone have a recommendation on a supplement to take for constipation. This is probably going to be TMI, but this is the right place for it, right? I remember with my son, I had some issues and my mother also said she always had constipation issues, but this time seems a bit excessive and early in the pregnancy for me. With my son, it was during 3T, but this time, it's over the past month or so. I honestly haven't had a BM since either Sunday night or Monday morning. This happened last week and it was an awful weekend, let me tell you. I do walk, my prenatal doesn't have a lot of iron in it, but I do eat enough in my diet to get the daily iron that I need. I walk daily, some days a further distance for longer than others. I also drink 2-3 L of water per day. I may not get enough fiber daily, that could be it. But this is unbelievable. I have a pharmacy up the road from my office and I will be leaving work early today to take DS to a dentist appointment, so I can pick something up.

So, is Metamucil okay to take while pregnant? Or is there a supplement pill that I can take? This is making me miserable.

Thanks in advance.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
You can take fibre supplements like Metamucil. I found for me though it caused severe digestive issues that were worse than the constipation. I have found eating lots of fruit and taking flax seed oil works the best for me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

I've always been told by a dr to take docusate sodium ...the are small pills that really help...Or you can also take miralax to make things better for you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Oh yes docusate sodium is a lifesaver (I think the brand name is colace) I will take that for a few nights if I haven't went in awhile.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
They gave me colace after I delivered both of my kids and it worked well then. I'm right there with you. The constipation started for me around week 8 or 9 and hasn't let up. To add to the TMI, those lovely little things called hemorrhoids are already acting up due to it. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a worse go with it than ever before, though I hope you find relief soon. I've been eating prunes like they're going out of style.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

There is ways of making it easier on the toilet too, not all is up to pills.

Put

iVillage Member
Yeah, I don't eat white bread at all. I've picked up grapes and raw almonds for now. Will talk to my doc if it doesn't improve in a week.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

You

iVillage Member
I am not planning to take anything until I can talk to my doc on Friday and that's only if I am still having issues. I went to the store and picked up some grapes, Cranberry Grape juice, and have started trying to eat more fibrous food during the day. So far, things have improved. I just have to remember to pick up some fruit every time I run low at home so I don't have to deal with this again. It's awful. :(
Photobucket