Any way to keep my baby from getting too big?

iVillage Member
Any way to keep my baby from getting too big?
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 6:57pm
My doc said if my baby is estimated around 8.5-9+ pounds I'll have to have another c-section. My dd was nearly 9 lbs, but this baby is measuring at the 50th percentile at the moment.

Is there anything I can do that would keep my baby from getting too big? I had a different doc last time, but they think I never dilated at all, not even when induced, because dd was too big to put pressure on my cervix. I'd really love to avoid another c/s if possible.
 Pregnancy Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 7:06pm
i ddont think theres anything you can do. i do think the baby will stay on the same growth path tho
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 7:25pm
We'll when a person you has GD they have to watch their sugars to keep baby from getting too big.
Im wondering if it would help a little to not consume a bunch of carbs and sugars too?
Stick with proteins and veggies.????
Just a thought. No dr.here ;)
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 7:50pm
Hmmm. I wouldn't think there could be much you could do either. The first thing that came to mind for me was the GD advice of watching the carbs, but I have no clue if that has an effect on a normal pregnancy. I would think like Caroline though that I bet baby will stay on the same growth path.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 9:17pm

Eh I'm not sure there is much you can do. A mom with GD has big babies because of the way her body processes sugars. A "normal" Pregnancy needs carbs of the good kind. Stick to whole grains, stay away from sugary stuff. But I think if you are pre disposed to "larger" babies, then it's genetics honey. My babies were 8.6 , 9.2 , and 8.9. I kind of have a pattern there.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 9:27pm
I wonder if your girl will be that large???? I'm wondering it for myself. My kids weren't big by any means but considering they were born at 37 weeks I don't think 7lb8oz or 6lb14oz were all that small for the gestation.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 9:49pm
Hmmm. Just curious why were you induced the first time? If you go into labor naturally big baby or not, you should dialate most likely fine. I mean walking around does help dialation too while in labor. Both my boys were big but i had vag deliveries, no problems and im not a big person. I've also heard that excess sugar can cause a baby to grow big w/ GD. GL! does your doc know you dont want another C sect?
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:13pm
Ha! Sorry, in light of my knowing I'll have a big baby, this is funny.

But, honestly, I agree with the possibility of watching your sugars and carbs. Again, there usually isn't much you can do (at least that is healthy) to ensure you fall below a certain birth weight.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 12:56am
Thanks everyone. I was induced last time because my doc wouldn't let me go more than a week over. That is what I've found with all the docs in the LA area.

I do eat a lot of sugar do it wouldn't hurt to cut down. Hopefully that will help. I'm happy to know that he isn't measuring big atm and I hope it stays that way. I really really really don't want another c/s.
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 3:15am

Here if a baby is that seen as becoming to big, then

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 9:28am
I don't think there is, and dieting is not a good idea either. Even if you aren't consuming enough calories or whatever, the baby still requires a certain number and it will start pulling them from you. So your baby will keep growing and you'll be less healthy and weaker which isn't a good scenario either. I do think that eating healthier - less sugars, more fruits and veggies is your best bet but that won't make certain that your baby will slow down it's intended growth at this point. I hope you can avoid a csection too!
sig2-sm

Pages