Anyone still nursing and losing weight while newly pregnant?

iVillage Member
Anyone still nursing and losing weight while newly pregnant?
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 4:11pm

Most of the time, I wouldn't be concermed at al!! A few pounds coming off would be welcome news. My first doctor appointment is on the 26th and I'm nervous my doctor is going to freak out on me again. Last year at this stage while PG with #4, I just hadn't gained any weight - that's typical of all my pregnancies. I put on the require amount or more by the end, but I'm really slow to get to gaining. But I've never nursed through a pregnancy before and I'm nearly certain that is why I have lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks. I'm still able to eat just fine, I don't have much morning sickness preventing me and I'm

sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Make sure what you do eat is higher in calories. Whole milk, cheese, avocados, etc.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Avocados don't belong in my mouth! LOL Hate them. But yes, I do eat higher calorie foods - I glop on the peanut butter on my toast, always use whole fat foods [sour cream, dressings, cheeses, etc], I haven't switched to whole milk but I'm not a big milk drinker and my kids would devour that and they don't need the whole milk. I'm trying to eat more frequently since I don't have my usual appetite but I'm not holding back on what I eat at all. I drink mostly water and am indulging on ice cream in the evenings. :) I just hope it all changes around soon. I do not want my doctor to have any reason to suggest that I need to stop nursing Lucas.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
I really wouldn't worry too much right now. Many women get so sick they lose weight at first. As long as you start gaining weight eventually and gain an appropriate amount, I'm sure baby will be just fine.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Did you

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Remember, we're in the same peppermint group. :P

I haven't looked at it but I have quit losing now that the morning sickness is gone and I have an appetite again. Luckily! Thanks though!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member

Yep, I know. I just didn't know how to put it so I didn't confuse other readers, lol!

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
oh, gotchya! :P
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
I'd be prepared for your doctor to be on your case, since it sounds like she was already, but I'd think you're probably okay as long as the trend doesn't continue. My last PG I lost about 8 lbs around 16 weeks because I went to the UK and was walking all over the place/running to catch trains/etc. Also, the food didn't fit my palette well :) I would just keep an eye on it. I don't think we're to the point yet where we 'have' to be gaining. I think that is more towards 17-18 weeks ish. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd just watch it. If it looks like it is a continuing trend, I'd consider other options.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fortunately, I've stopped losing and have gained a tiny bit back now that my appetite has returned and the morning sickness is gone. I'm sure she'll be keeping an eye out for me but I think I'm on the upward swing already so maybe by the time I see her again, I'll have gained enough that it won't be an issue. Besides, she didn't know that I had lost any, that was me weighing at home since finding out I was pregnant. When I saw my doc for the first time I was only 1.5 lighter than my starting weight with my last pregnancy based on their scale. My home scale weighs a couple pounds less. I watch for the trend, not the actual numbers so much.
sig2-sm