Breech at 33 Weeks

iVillage Member
Breech at 33 Weeks
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 1:41pm
Has anyone had experience with having a breech baby this far along? With my other two, they were head down at the 32 week appointment and stayed that way. My doctor said he'd only begin to get concerned if she's still breech at my 34 week check up, and I'm pretty sure she's still in the same position since I'm feeling the kicks in the same spot. I'm absolutely terrified of a c-section, mainly because of the longer recovery! My babies tend to be pretty huge-9 lbs 12 oz for the first and 11lbs 10 oz for the second-and I'm afraid we won't be able to budge her once she gets locked in position there! Anyone else dealing with this or dealt with it before?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 1:53pm
my #3 baby was breech until the morning of our 38 week appointment! It was that day when we were going to schedule a csection if he was still breech. But before heading to the doc he made a crazy turn - it was nearly painful, I know he didn't have a lot of room but somehow he made it and was born 1 day after his due date. He was only 6 pounds 6 pounce, I don't know if that makes a difference at all but he was a little smaller.

Hopefully she makes a move soon! Do some searching - there are some techniques and things you can do to help encourage a turn but I'm just not sure what the specifics are.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 2:38pm
I can't remember who on the board did it, but she managed to get her LO to turn to head down by putting an ice pack on top and a heating pad on the bottom and the baby turned. I told DH about that and he cracked up, then said "Well, I would run from an ice pack, too!" Worth a shot. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 2:54pm

I am currently 36 weeks and baby has been breech since 28 weeks. He hasn't budged since and no matter how much I've tried the "home remedies or exercises" he refuses to flip. They say that about 20% of babies between 32 weeks and 37 weeks are breech. After 37 weeks it drops down to only 3% of babies. My midwife said that if at my next appt. (37 weeks) Adam is still breech they will try doing a version. I hear it can be painful and the rate of success is about 50%. Some women don't think the risk is worth it as it can cause you to go into labor and you will need to have a c-section. I figure if he doesn't flip I am going to need a c section anyway so it can't hurt to try.

At 33 weeks I wouldn't be too concerned yet. There is still a chance that baby will flip all the way up to the day of delivery. So you never know. However I have been losing hope as he has been breech for a long time now without change. I was a breech baby myself and I wonder if there is some sort of hereditary link there.

As far as the c section there is a message board here on iVillage about them. It can help ease your mind to read their stories and you can ask any questions you may have. I think the experience of the c section depends on the person and the medical team that performs the operation.

Keep your chin up, I think you still stand a great chance of LO turning head down.

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 3:48pm

Most babies on my mum side of the family lays side ways until 6 to 8

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 4:23pm
At 33 weeks I don't think it is a huge concern. I think they just start to get concerned once you hit about 36-37 weeks. My youngest son was breech until he flipped at 37 weeks. I was doing some of the positions on the spinning babies website. He was a big baby (over 9 lbs at birth) but he was still able to turn at that point.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 8:57pm
this one was breech at 32 weeks, then turned head down at 34 and has been that way since. with my DD she was transverse until38 weeks, they tried an ecv but that didnt work since theres only a 20% success rate. she did flip the day of my csection tho, i had all the ivs in, was just waiting for my epidural.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 11:47pm
Lol, I am the one that did the ice pack thing. I laid on my couch with an ice pack near her head (she was back and forth between breech and transverse) and I put a heating pad low on my belly. With in a minute of the ice being on my belly she started dancing around. And the next morning at my 35 week appointment she was head down. Mind you I was in the hospital the day before I tried it and she was defiantly transverse. It's worth a shot...
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 8:17am
I did that as well and the next u/s she was head down! I did it with a few pillows under my bum at the same time
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 1:44pm
I'm definitely going to try the heating pad and ice pack thing if she's still breech at my next appointment. My husband thought it was the most insane thing ever, but it definitely seems to work! I seriously can't tell how this baby is positioned in there. It feels like she's still all over the place! I'm totally relieved to hear that so many of you had a breech baby that turned. I'm hoping that she's one of the ones that will get herself straightened out in there before my due date.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers