Doctor wants to break water

iVillage Member
Doctor wants to break water
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 11:57am
I'm due tomorrow, but was 3 cm dilated 2 weeks ago and am now almost 5 and have had really mild contractions off and on. The doctor would like to break my water, but it kinda freaks me out. I just wanted it all to happen on its' own. Anyone else been in this situation or had their water broke before?
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 12:07pm
I've kind of had this happen before. I was 4cm and having contractions at 37 weeks when admitted with DS2. I got in the room and everything just stalled out at 5cm. They started me on pitocin and broke my water to get things moving. It did indeed get things going and I delivered in fairly short order with very little pain. However.... I do feel your concern on not letting it happen on its own. I'm in the same situation right now with induction right around the corner and wishing it would happen on its own versus potentially having a long, drawn out affair. It doesn't always happen that way (as I said, with DS2 the whole thing was awesome) but it sucks banking on that chance.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 1:49pm
I think I would be nervous since sometimes breaking the water can kickstart things and other times it will do nothing and then you will have to be induced. I would probably give it another week and then reassess.

Photobucket