Flu shots: Will you get one?

iVillage Member
Flu shots: Will you get one?
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:45pm

I forgot to mention this the other night but I wanted to ask: Who is doing flu shots this year? I never got them growing up, and I think the first time I ever got one was last pregnancy with DS2 when the H1N1 was a large concern. This time I went ahead and got us all vaccinated as soon as I hit the 2nd trimester and the shots were available at my clinic. We go to the gym and the kids will be in the daycare there while I work out, so I thought it prudent to take a few precautionary steps. It isn't always super clean in there since a ton of kids are in and out of all small ages. Not to mention, the H1N1 strain did seem to be pretty dangerous for pregnant women and it scared me to be honest.

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:52pm
I got mine a week ago and DS will get one this month. I don't think DH is, but he's relatively healthy overall.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:55pm
I think I have to take my wee one back for a booster in a few weeks, which I have to maneuver around his 18 month shots as well. I didn't even think about my DH because I'm pretty sure the military inoculates him for everything under the sun--including anthrax, japanese encephalitis, etc

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 12:40am
I'm definitely getting mine, tomorrow. I don't have a spleen, which makes my immune system irregular & me more likely to get sick or infections. So, coupled with the fact I'm pregnant, I thought it'll be a good idea:)
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 12:58am
I have never had a flu shot but I also haven't had the flu since I was a teenager. If it was something I was prone to I would definitely consider it though. I think DH should get it since he manages to get an awful flu every winter but he is stubborn. When I get sick it is usually a really bad cold or sinus infection.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 7:45am

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 9:53am

I'm not. The flu shot for pregnancy is categorized as Risk Level C, which I find unacceptable (level C means it has not been tested and they dont know what kind of effects it can have on the fetus and that it should only be administered to a pregnant woman if absolutely necessary).

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 12:23pm

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

More information (FAQ) about the studies of Thimerosal from the CDC. My medical clinic only offers the Thimerosal free version for both children and adults, including pregnant women. My shot was the Fluzone prefilled syringe, which is Thimerosal free. Bess is right, you can definitely request it be a mercury free version, but I would still recommend the shot if you are prone to getting sick or live in an environment that has a high likelihood of kids bringing it home (out of home schooling or daycare settings, for instance). My doctor (who is pretty knowledgeable of vaccinations and diseases that have come around since she started practicing 30+ years ago) has said that when H1N1 came around, in 2009 pregnant women were in the hospital in droves being sick and dehydrated. With the new blend that they are administering as of 2010, it went from something like 20 pregnant women admitted per week to maybe 20 the entire season (October through May). I am glad you do bring links to your information. that does help in understanding where your information comes from, Bess. In your pamphlet, it does talk about the 2007-2008 flu season. Here is the link to the most recent one I could find for Safe Minds:

http://www.safeminds.org/about/documents/safeminds_trifold_Flushots_10-11_FINAL.pdf

I definitely agree with a few things this brochure says:

"Look at the evidence and decide if you consider the influenza virus a true threat to your family. Also consider the evidence regarding, the effectiveness of the flu vaccine in actually preventing influenza."

and...

"Do not let yourself be pressured into receiving a vaccine that you don’t want; insist that your doctor or pharmacist find you a mercury-free vaccine."

If anyone lives in an environment that the potential contracting influenza is rare, which it sounds like Bess does, then not getting it won't doom you to be sick for weeks and no one should feel pressured to get one if they don't want to. My doctor did tell me that it is totally optional and she does not require her prenatal patients to get it. It was my choice. My son is around kids all day at school and he brings home pretty fun things to deal with, so both he and I are getting vaccinated this season (I had mine last week, he gets his in a week and a half). He caught the flu this past February in the first year I didn't get him an influenza vaccination and he was absolutely miserable, so I can't afford to take that chance again with his exposure to other kids at school, either catching something or passing something.

Just some random thoughts. I'm also stalling to get started on my projects here at work, so I wanted to do some research into this. I think being educated in your choices is awesome and I try to look at as many different angles as I can before I make choices for myself and my family. I'm glad to see that all of you do as well. Makes me happy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 1:29pm
I don't normally but did get one last year while pregnant and did last week with this one as well. We did have Lucas [10 months] get his as well since he's so young and I don't want to be pregnant and dealing with a sick wee one. Nobody else in the family got or will get one though. And as long as I'm not pregnant next year [please no!!] I won't be getting one again.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 5:18pm

I wont

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 6:35pm
I haven't had one in years and never got sick. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an egg allergy and now I can't get them. I read an article recently that said there is a new strain that is now supposed to be safe for people with egg allergies but I'm not taking any chances. DD just got her's last month and has to go back Monday for her booster. Fortunately she doesn't share my egg allergy.
Photobucket

Pages