Have to go in for 3 hour glucose test

iVillage Member
Have to go in for 3 hour glucose test
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 3:30pm

Just got the call that I have to go in for the three hour glucose test tomorrow. I didn't have this with my first baby, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

BTDT moms, how is it different from the one hour test? How common is it that you get called back, but don't have GD?

I'm trying very hard not to worry until I know whether I have GD or not, but I'm feeling super bummed. I'm most worried because I'm not sure if my doc will let me do a VBAC if I have GD and I was planning a chocolate themed 30th birthday party for next month. Guess I need to hold on to my plans loosely at the moment.

Pregnancy Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 5:50pm
I had GD with my first pregnancy. I go in two weeks for my 1 hour and once you have it once, the chances are 90% that you'll have it again, so I'm sure I'll be joining you in with the 3 hour test soon. With the 3 hr, you have to fast. They take your blood when you get there, then you drink double the amount of stuff as you did with the 1 hr. Then they take your blood every hour for 3 hrs, for a total of 4 times.

Many, many women fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr. I personally know 3 people it happened to.

I hope this helped. If you have any more questions, ask away. Because I had it before, I know a lot about it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 6:17pm
I haven't taken the three hour before. The one hour was super easy, in and out with my DS. With this baby, I had an early GTT, but it was a two hour test. I asked my OB last appointment and she said they don't do the 1 hour tests, they start with a two hour test because in their experience, they have way too many false failures with the 1 hour test and the 3 hour test is a much better indicator of how your body metabolizes the sugar. It's tough to stay fasting that long and for me, it made me want to nap (no napping either in the waiting room), but I passed my early one piece of cake.

Good luck tomorrow! Bring a book and/or a music player or something to occupy your time. They won't let you leave until your last draw at the end of the three hours, so it can be a very long wait.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 7:20pm
I failed my 1 hr and had to do the 3 hr this time around. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I agree, bring a book or something to occupy your time since you can't leave. I was one of the unfortunate ones who did not pass the 3 hr but I have had many friends who failed the 1 hr and passed the 3 hr. Good luck!!!

Sarah

Lily Jane 4/6/05

Stella Mae 11/29/06

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 9:15pm
Definitely bring something to read. I had GD in my last pregnancy, and it is a bear to get used to. Maybe people with different dietary habits don't have a problem with it, but I'm not a carb watcher and I'm a big fruit/cereal eater so it was like the seventh circle of hades for me lol However, this go around I failed my 1 hour and passed the 3 hour so I guess you never know! They were thoroughly counting on me failing that 3 hour GTT and were surprised I didn't. I hope you pass:)

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 2:41am
I have my three hour one in the morning too. I feel like just saying....bag it... just give me the diet and meter already!
I had two crispy creme donuts today because they will be my last big Indulgence for awhile :( im sure
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 3:44pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have a cold right now and found out that can skew your numbers, so now I have to wait until next Wednesday to take the test. I don't like being in limbo, but it's possible that I was coming down with the cold and that affected my numbers in the first place. We'll see. For now, I'm torn between feeling like I should be super healthy and feeling like I should binge before I get told not to.

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 6:24pm
Totally binge! :). Believe me, three months of no sugar and barely any carbs isn't easy and you'll want nothing more than a giant chocolate cake. Eat it while you can! But hopefully it was just because of the cold. Also, I realized I didn't answer the VBAC part of your question. You should be able to VBAC even with GD.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 12:58am
Got my test results today and they were normal. Yay!
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:47am
Awesome news! :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 12:36pm
Woohoo!!! Good for you. Go eat some ice cream for me please!

Photobucket

Pages