Maxi pad question maybe TMI.

iVillage Member
Maxi pad question maybe TMI.
Thu, 02-23-2012 - 8:11pm
Ok.i im not sure what you might think but I have a real question.

Has anyone tried the cloth menstrual pads. Either homemade from etsy or made them themselves?

They sound a tad gross...but I have a REAL problem wearing pads after I have had a baby. I get itchy and almost form a allergic reaction. I have heard this is a better alternative. I bleed for a full month and sometime beyond my 6 week check. By that time I feel miserable.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about them. Good or bad.

Thanks

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-23-2012 - 9:39pm
I've been wondering the same thing! I don't think they sound gross--I mean it *is* what people used to use regardless. It does sound a lot more comfortable. I also tend to bleed for along time if I breastfeed and since I plan on giving that a go again I feel certain it should be similar. I get tired of walking around with 'crinkle butt'. I feel like everyone can hear my ginormous pads. Not to mention they're uncomfortable. I've seen some really nice looking cloth pads before here: http://www.thanksmama.com/Cloth_Menstrual_Pads_s/160.htm
That's a good website to use if you can find what you like because usually you can google and find a coupon code, plus every purchase earns you 'reward' money back that you can use on the site. It's kind of a nice deal :)

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-23-2012 - 10:46pm
That's not a bad price. I actually own the thing that puts those snaps on. Thinking maybe I could make my own. Think you'd need about 15 or so. Sometimes you change every hour..Idk.

Im going to do more research. Wonder what type of material they use.?
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 12:40am
I don't have any experience with them personally but I know a lot of people love them. If you are good at sewing you could probably find a pattern online and make your own.

I also tend to get pad rash although I am happy to be having this baby before the heat of summer. I find I have to switch brands every few weeks to prevent chafing in one specific area.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 11:23am
So funny last night I was looking for fabric on ebay and DH asks what im looking for...told him i was thinking of making menstrual pads....and why......he throws his hands up and says. "Hey whatever you want is fine. " like it horrified him.
Later that night he starts talking about fishing ....ugh....and I said....do you wanna talk about pads again? He just smiled. ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 11:33am
Hahaha :) Did you find out what material is good to use? I would think maybe flannel but I could be wrong.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:15pm

I have the same problem but I am lucky, I found out that the pharmacy here carry,

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 4:46pm
Bamboo....is the best and hemp is another along with flannel. I have tons of flannel so I think I would use that. (ya if I was actually going to use them for every cycle id maybe invest more....) I just need postpartum ones.
And some people use a water proof liner exactly like a cloth diaper cover. Going to fabric store to check it out. Joannes I guess carries it.
My hubby im sure thinks Im nuts!
I would love to be more of a crunchy momma....but I like fries! ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 5:00pm

Would the menstrual cup work for you in the future?

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 5:21pm
Yup Joann's does carry it. They have a section for the diapering products at mine actually. I know I just got a 20% off your whole purchase coupon in my email today, I'm not sure when it was for though.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 6:51pm

I have seen people make them out of Cloth diapers. The 6 ply ones ya know? And sewing fabric to the back with snap "wings" Seems easy enough if you know how to sew. I am guessing they would be absorbent enough. And why not? Rinse and wash... Sounds gross at first but really thinking of it how many pair of undies/ sheets and what not have we done exactly that with?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages