Pain control options

iVillage Member
Pain control options
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 9:21pm

Is anyone familiar with what the pain control options are for L&D these days? All anyone ever seems to talk about anymore is epidural or nothing. I've done it both ways. This time I'd like to have some idea what options there are available because I dislike epidurals and may not necessarily want to go natural if it's a hard labor. I plan on asking my doctor, but it never hurts to get real advice too!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 10:12pm
I have had spinal tap, and epidural.. i realty dont know of the other stuffs.. know some drugs take the edge off but you stay in control.. Im interested to see any replies on this myself.. glad u brought this up..
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 10:23pm
I know there's the epi, walking epi, spinal block, and stadol (to take the edge off). There are several non-medicinal ways, too, but I'm not familiar with them. I read an article several months back about it. Thebump.com has a lot of good articles on L&D.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 11:11pm
I'll have to do some research then. I've also wondered if any of them excludes the possibility of another if you get it.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 8:57am
I've had Stadol in my IV with all my babies - it just takes the edge off for a little bit - it's strong enough to help you relax a little but not strong enough to make you feel nothing. You will still feel the contractions. I found that I was able to relax and catch my breath some between contractions which helped a lot. I didn't stay so tense. But, it doesn't last very long and you can only get 2-3 doses and only at certain intervals. I don't remember the specifics right now.

And I had an epidural with the last one after 12 hours of labor and zero progression. It was nice because I had it, but I won't opt for it just because. If labor got to be that long again, I might consider it.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 11:41am
Things in Canada are different than the US I think. We have laughing gas like you get at the dentist. There are also a few different narcotic pain options. I remember with my 2nd I was given shots of morphine against my will and I was really upset because I hate the way morphine makes me feel. For me I tend to either go drug-free or go for the epidural because I hate the way pain meds make me feel and I find the laughing gas is more of a distraction than anything else.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 3:11pm

With DD I had an epidural. But this time I'm going to give birth at a birthing center and have a midwife. So no epidural or anything other pain medication

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-27-2012 - 5:00pm
I always found it helped me a lot to have my husband rub my feet last time when it got to the end. This time I am trying to remember to bring some lotion to have him do it with a little less friction. Maybe that will help for you. The visualization thing didn't do anything for me, but honestly once it got to the extreme kind of pain you have at the very end I zoned out completely.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 7:45pm
I had Nubane before my epi last time. Sounds similar to Stadol..takes the edge off and effectiveness tapers off with each dose.
I'll be going for the epi again. It was great for me. I was able to rest and finally fully dilate after 30 hours of induction.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:32pm
My labor last time was 12 hours. Before that it was 22. I had the epidural with my first for that long labor and it was definitely the right choice. I was exhausted enough even though I'd gotten a small amount of rest after the epi. I can't imagine if I hadn't had it. However the second delivery was so easy without it, and the recovery 10x better that I'd rather avoid the spinal catheter-izations again.

Photobucket<