Painful Braxton Hicks?

iVillage Member
Painful Braxton Hicks?
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 3:56pm

So I know I am not in labor and don't even think I am close to going into labor.

However, I just wondered if anyone else has had painful braxton hicks contractions? This morning while laying in bed I got a contraction that was accompanied by painful cramping in my lower abdomen and lower back. It was really painful, I'd say about a 5 or 6 out of 10. It lasted about a minute and I haven't had a painful one since then but have been having some mild cramping in my lower abdomen off and on today. I have been having other braxton hicks but those have just been uncomfortable tightenings without any pain or cramping. Yesterday I had the same painful contraction while sitting down on the couch.

Just seems kind of odd that they would come so randomly and be so intense and painful and the rest of the contractions are just the typical braxton hicks. I also am having some sharp pain in my lower back on the left that has come and gone today. I wish this baby was head down already I would probably do all that I could to get him out!!

Karen

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 9:02pm
I can't say I've been having any braxton hicks lately, but I do know that a few times she has moved down and put a lot of pressure on my lower ligaments connecting to my pelvic area. If I'd been having any BH they would have been something I'd have considered painful because of that ligament pain in combination. It was so bad last night that I couldn't fall asleep. It's definitely that time where everything starts to ache and groan isn't it?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 5:33pm
I've had some that have made me nervous, too, but nothing comes of it. My doctor has the rule that if you get four within an hour, call in and talk to L&D. Most of my BH contractions are what I would call intense, but very few are actually painful. I might get one or two a week that catch me off guard.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 4:35pm
It could be that your body is trying to go into labour but because he isn't head down it isn't a productive labour. I have heard that with breech babies a lot of times the contractions will come and go like that for awhile because the baby isn't in the right position to trigger full blown labour.

I have had a few painful BH contractions though so it could also be that. I had few in a row the other night that were strong enough to wake me up.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 4:06pm
Yes, I get them here and there and totally sporadic. I would think as baby is moving down and getting into position and hitting nerves and things, you'll be feeling them more often and much harder. Just keep tabs on them if they start to come more frequently. Most of them for me just come and go and then I have the usual ones throughout the day. But yes, every once in awhile I get a doozy that makes me stop and catch my breath.
sig2-sm