Pregnancy Hormones suck!!

iVillage Member
Pregnancy Hormones suck!!
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 12:35pm

I really don't remember it being this bad when I was pregnant with DS, but maybe that's because I was emotional and moody already so the increase didn't catch me off guard. But, for the past week, I have just been incredibly emotional and, at times, for no real reason. It's almost like I'm on the brink of depression where I don't want to do anything but stay home and curl up in a blanket and be alone. The most innate things put me in tears and it's hard to stop them. For instance, this morning while I was sitting with my DH at breakfast before going in to our respective offices, we were talking about the origins of coffee cultivation and invasive vs. native species (that's what you get being a scientist married to a geographer/planner, both with extensive environmental backgrounds) and I just started welling up in tears. Not a moving conversation at all, obviously. He asked what was wrong and I have no idea why it happened. The past few days, I've had a lot of insecurities and have had a resurgence of emotions from things that have happened in the past that I had worked through come up again, so I've been dealing with re-working the letting go process (too much drama). I've also been overreacting to certain things, too, and I know it when I do it, but I can't stop it from happening.

Long story short, I'm having a hard time with pregnancy hormone emotional basketcase-itis. Anyone else?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 9:39pm
I have good days and bad days. Not quite a rollercoaster but the days that I am hormonal, I'm REALLY hormonal. Definitely notice a difference when I don't get enough sleep either. Hang in there!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 12:28pm
You sound just like me. I haven't had to deal with it too much since about 22 weeks when things seemed to level off a good bit for me (M/S went away then too), but I know exactly what you mean. It is like the beginning of depression. I've heard those emotional hormones can start up again at the end like this, I'm not overly surprised to hear you're having an issue with it. I went berserk at the end of my pregnancy with DS2. Absolutely lost it. Cried all the time, just wanted to be done being pregnant, etc. It's not uncommon. Just make sure you're well aware about whether or not it is getting worse/better and going away once baby is born :)

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 11:45am
I checked our milk and the brand we buy says it is rBST free. I wonder if it is just stress related. I have periods of stress when work deadlines come up and having deadlines and being prepared to go out on maternity leave while leaving my open projects to my unit to handle while I'm out is stressing me out. And the fact that we're 1/3 of the way through February already has made it kind of hard for me. Who knows.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 2:19am
Actually almost all the dairy farmers milk in our stores is rBST free. Our country has approved it as a growth hormone for dairy cows but most of the farmers don't use it. Our big box stores milk is even rBST free. In fact I have never seen it not free of this hormone.
As far a meat farmers using it....I have no clue.
We raise our own.
Im dealing with not crying..but irritability again. Kids whistling and slurping cereal right now makes me irritated. That's my hormones for you.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 5:54pm
I live in Canada where our cows aren't given hormones and I still have my moments. I am not looking forward to the first few weeks after the birth because then I am really a basket case LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 4:42pm

The USA

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 4:21pm
I don't drink very much milk here, it's only occasionally that I might have a cup (I take supplements to get my calcium), but it's rare. As far as other foods with hormones, maybe in meat, but I rarely eat anything other than chicken, too. I hadn't thought about that, but that might be causing it.

I wonder if maybe it is because DH started his next semester in his grad program at the university and he has a lot of reading to accomplish each week, so I have gotten into the routine of letting him go do distraction free reading. The lack of quality time together might be bothering me. Who knows. I will check on the hormones in my food, too. Great idea, thanks for the tip.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 3:59pm
Im gonna change my milk! Was crying yesturday, but today im totally frazzeled!! Ugh.. my son is in terrible two's my oldest is a pre-teen! Ugh.. i find i have to leave the room for no reason but have an over whelming feeling if im gonna have a breakdown... It doesnt do it all the time but man, i hate it!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 3:42pm

Have you check how much hormones it is in the food you are eating?

I have zero problem with

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 3:31pm

That