Questions for mamas with cats

iVillage Member
Questions for mamas with cats
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 2:51pm

My DH is freaking out and I keep telling him it's not going to be that big of a deal. So, I figured I would ask around. When we had DS, we had two cats. One was a jumper and explorer, the other is skittish and hides all the time. Both of them were angry at us bringing DS home and hid on top of our cabinets for the next several months until they realized that this screaming being wasn't going anywhere. I don't recall the cat who could actually jump in there getting into the crib, especially while DS was in there and, obviously, if he did, nothing happened. Now with DD on the way, the cat that could have gotten in the crib has since passed away (a few days before I got pregnant, interestingly enough) and the other one is still not a jumper. But, we have two new cats (total of three): the newer boys are almost 3 and almost 1. Both are big into exploring and jumping into things. I let them in the nursery while I was doing the laundry and sorting sizes a few months ago to let them explore the room and get used to the items. One night, DH couldn't sleep because of my awful snoring (I was really sick at the time), so I chose to go sleep on the twin bed in the nursery with the door cracked. The older of the two woke me up when he lept into the crib.

Now for my question. Does anyone have any experience with cats jumping in and trying to smother your child in the crib? Silly sounding, but DH is kind of freaking out about that happening while we are asleep. And it doesn't matter: the crib, the playpen...he still thinks the cats will get in there and lay on her and she won't be able to breathe. I told him that if she is in there, they will probably be less inclined to get in there themselves. And if they do, I don't think they'll lay on her. Maybe by her, but not on her face. When we had DS, he was in the playpen while I was on maternity and up at odd hours, then he co-slept with us after a month or so because I wanted to sleep in my bed and not on the couch anymore. When he was about 9 months old, we moved the crib into our room and had him in there until he was out of his crib at 1 1/2 years old. I don't know why DH wasn't reacting this way with DS, but is with DD. Maybe it's because we have two cats that will take an interest in seeing what's in the crib. Or, they could hide from us like our first cat did with DS.

So, thoughts?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 2:58pm
we have 4 cats - all of which are big snugglers, with everyone, all the time. NONE of them have seemed to have had any interest in the babies. Yes, they sniff and come around but don't want to spend any time near them - especially if crying. However, babies sound like crying kittens and some cats, female or male, will come to the baby and try to 'rescue' it. Even with my 14 month old, if he's crying for anything, they tend to flock around but don't do anything. I'd bet that they may try and get in the crib but if they find anyone in there, they will quickly leave! Before baby comes, try setting a couple of empty pop bottles with a few pennies in them into the crib. They make just enough noise to startle the kitties if they happen to jump in there. We actually shake one when they are doing naughty behaviors. There are also crib nets that you can get that set on top of the crib like a big dome that the front unzips. You could put one of those on for peace of mind too.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 4:26pm

We only have 1 cat but it took us one time of leaving the door open to the nursery with our first DD and the cat jumped into the co-sleeper and tried to take a nap in there.

Sarah

Lily Jane 4/6/05

Stella Mae 11/29/06

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 6:23pm
We only have one cat but it sleeps in out laundry room. Well just today our doctor thinks its what's causing my 12 yo dd asthma. We got cat same time it started.
So must find it a new home.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 7:11pm
We had intermittent issues with it. We tried to resolve it by closing doors, etc but when our cats eventually started angry pooping and peeing in our house I had had it--I booted their furry little behinds right outside. They're actually WAY happier now and pretty much stay right in our backyard happily lazing.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 11:38pm
We've always had cats and although they like sleeping with baby none of them have ever tried to sleep on the babies head or face. That's an old wives tale.