Requesting an u/s?

iVillage Member
Requesting an u/s?
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 9:04pm
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 9:41pm
To be honest I really don't know about the u/s thing but I just wanted to reach out and let you know I constantly worry also. In the past pregnancies anytime I was overly worried I went to the ER and they would do one just because I was so worked up (not that I recommend that)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 10:04pm

The first trimester is so anxiety filled!! I don't want to worry you too much, but it is possible to see a hb at an early u/s and still lose the baby before 12 weeks. My dr usually only does 2 - one at 8 weeks and one at 18-20 weeks unless something happens, so you're blessed to be able to see your little one so often. All we can really do is be patient and wait. I completely understand the worry, though. So much so that last time, I bought a doppler! I haven't seen this baby's hb at all yet, since our first u/s showed no hb (I've had a previous m/c and needed progesterone to support DS, which is why he allowed an early u/s). So, I'm definitely on pins and needles until Monday (I had to wait 2 weeks for another u/s).After this one at 7 weeks 2 days, I won't see my LO again until 20 weeks.

Hope the time passes quickly for you!

Jennifer

Siggy 05-24-10

Thank you Tan
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 10:04am
I'm the same way! But there's a lady that does them out of an office for a living and I'll go to her at 15 weeks for the gender scan so she's given me two others for free lol. Once we saw the h/b my Dr said that the miscarriage rate goes down to less than 5% so hopefully that makes you feel better. Also, you can buy fetal dopplers relatively inexpensive ($65) I heard my sons h/b around 10 weeks so I'll be pulling it out again soon lol.

Sam
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 12:19pm

I'm not a worrier, so I can't totally relate. In fact, not to scare you, but I did have a miscarriage at around 18 weeks after hearing the hb at both previous appointments (10 week and 14). They did not do ultrasounds before 20 weeks at that office.

Instead of making me worry more, it probably made me worry less. For early miscarriages, there's really nothing to be done to prevent them or stop them, so why beat yourself up over it? What will be will be. I go into my pregnancies with optimism, but a good dose of reality that something could happen at any time. Even if I did have an ultrasound today, who's to say that everything will still be okay tomorrow?

That said, the doctor in my last pregnancy did an ultrasound at 9 weeks and told me once you'd reached that point and seen the hb, there was a <2% chance of miscarriage.

Good luck with it! Maybe get a dopplar? I know the midwife could hear the hb at 10 weeks with me, so maybe if you practice a little, you could find it before 12?

Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 3:07pm
I can relate to the worry ... my OB does not do early ultrasounds unless it is necessary... he won't even see me until 10-12 weeks along, lol, so there's no way I get an early u/s just to check things out.

He believes in minimal interventions (and so do I as a general rule) but the waiting is killing me!!! I have my first real appointment with him on Sept. 28th and I really hope I hear a little heart beating that day with the doppler!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2011 - 11:44pm

That is a bummer not being able to have any u/s until 12 weeks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 8:21am

I personally feel less is more with Ultrasounds. I had a LOT with my 1st DD and since then have read a LOT about side effects of U/S and how they effect fetal development and now I'm really concerned about U/S's. I will be having as few as possible. Probably only the 20wk one. MAYBE onje before then if it seems needed but if it isnt, just the 20wk one here for us!

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 7:43pm

Yes, I do agree that I have heard that u/s are not necessarily favorable for the baby.