Traveling overseas

iVillage Member
Traveling overseas
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 11:59am

My husband ended up with some unexpected time off work next week and since he works for an airline, we can fly anywhere pretty much for free. We thought about taking a 4ish day trip to Europe (Paris, maybe?) and it can be a mini babymoon.

I asked the doctor his opinion today, though, and he said no to any travel outside the continental US. He said the likelihood of pre-term labor was low (I have a super low-risk pregnancy and no history of pre-term labor), but it would be bad if I went into labor over the Atlantic. I agree, but considering the very low likelihood, I'm still tempted to go.

Oh, and he also thinks I'm 1.5 weeks farther along than I am - they never adjusted my due date for my dates (I was charting when baby was conceived), even though the 20-week ultrasound confirmed it.

What do you think? Would you take the risk? If so, where should we go? If not, where should we go in the US (we're bound and determined to go somewhere!)? :)

Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-28-2012 - 1:47pm
San Francisco is awesome. I live inland from there and we enjoy going for a day trip and go to the museums and parks. We went last summer for DH's birthday. Lots of people, but a lot to do as well. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-28-2012 - 1:35am
Sounds lovely..
think id stick to the states though.
Hawaii is my kind of place.
Me and hubby went last year for our 20th....magical.
But good luck where ever you travel...I think it would great!
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-28-2012 - 1:01am
I would probably stick to somewhere closer to home if there are still some locations you want to explore like San Fran. Some people get blood clots during late pregnancy from long flights and that would make me a bit nervous.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-28-2012 - 12:05am

According to the airlines, they just don't want you to fly in the last month. Theoretically, though, you're right - they can question you at any time and deny boarding if they want to. Having a note from your doctor isn't required to fly, but it would be necessary if they want to verify how far along you are. I'm kind-of crazy too (and a bit rebellious - it almost makes me want to go more just because he said no ;)), but DH swings so far the other way that I'm not sure if he'd take the risk or not. Maybe I just shouldn't have asked...

I'd be 31-32 weeks when we went. I was thinking that if we wanted to be safer, though, we could go to San Fran. I've never been and could load up on sourdough and chocolate. Anyway, thanks for the response - it's nice to hear others' opinions!

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-28-2012 - 12:01am

We went to Spain and took a 16-night transatlantic cruise (stopping in a few ports in Spain and one in the Bahamas) when I was about 18-19 weeks. We are fortunate to be able to travel overseas a couple of times a year and I haven't ever had any adverse reactions to the environment. I can only imagine how that would wreck the trip!

I was joking with DH that if we went and the baby was born while we were over there, at least it would be free! :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 9:23pm
I don't think I'd feel comfortable going overseas either. I went when I was around 20 weeks pregnant with DS2 and had some sort of allergic reaction to something in the environment that gave me serious asthma issues (I don't even have asthma!). Anyway, perhaps somewhere romantic for a B&B?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 12:54pm
Ooh, what a good opportunity! I agree that traveling over the pond would be concerning if you do go in to labor early or have a complication all of a sudden. I think the rule is no flying after 34 weeks....? I'm a crazy person and I personally would do it anyway, but you will also likely need a note from your doctor approving the flight and if he is telling you no, he may not give that to you. Airlines are really careful about carrying pregnant passengers that are obviously far along, so they ask for doctor approval to cover themselves if you were to have a problem in flight. But, dual citizenship for the baby would be sweet.... :D

Depending on when you go, it might be wiser to stay on the continent. Or, you could always go to Hawaii... :) Just be careful.
Photobucket