Very Painful Leg Cramps Waking Me Up at Night

iVillage Member
Very Painful Leg Cramps Waking Me Up at Night
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 12:31pm

Nearly every night I wake up with a painful muscle cramp in my leg or foot. It's like your muscle tightens up really tight and it kind of feels like a burning sensation. And then you have to tilt your toes upwards to stretch it out which causes more pain for a little bit until it finally releases and you get some relief. Last night was the worst. I woke up with extreme pain in my right calf that woke me from my sleep and lasted a little while. Now today the calf is sore and when I stretch it it feels a little painful. I know this is a pregnancy symptom and I try to take the dog out for a walk every morning and night before bed to stretch out my legs. I am prone to restless leg syndrome at night but this is not only irritating but painful. I hope it stops soon!

Anyone else suffering from this?

Karen

iVillage Member
Oh the good old charlie horse in the middle of the night. I get these occasionally too. I have heard that taking a calcium-magnesium supplement and making sure you are eating potassium-rich foods can help prevent them. They are just one of those charming symptoms of pregnancy that SUCK!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I started having problems with this off and on when I was a teenager. I know what you're talking about when you say it hurts! I've never found a great way to help with it when it's in your foot (toes, arch, etc) but I know when I get it in my calf if I immediately flatten my foot out and pull it back as far as I can towards my shin it usually quells that. I hate it when you get it in your toes and they go awry pointing in different directions. My grandmother swore that drinking a little bit of vinegar helped those cramps. If you feel brave you can always try that! :) haha

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

I only get leg cramps at night when I'm dehydrated. Are you drinking enough liquids?

iVillage Member
I agree with Christina - make sure you're getting your vitamins and minerals. They hurt so bad! I've had them in the past where they actually leave me sore for days! I hope you get some relief soon!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
I have been drinking water and milk throughout the day, I take daily walks, I stretch, try to eat right, and take my daily prenatal. I talked to my mom and apparently she got them all the time when pg with my brother. They seem to not come as frequent now so at least I am getting some relief!

Thanks for all of the replies!

Karen