Weight Gain...Having Trouble Gaining Weight

iVillage Member
Weight Gain...Having Trouble Gaining Weight
Thu, 12-22-2011 - 9:59am

So I always have a hard time gaining weight. And while some people may see this as a blessing I struggle with it. I always hear comments of how I look too skinny and how I need to eat more. I track my daily caloric intake and seem to be on par with how much I should be eating with a moderate activity level.

I've only gained 12 lbs so far and am worried about reaching the 25 lb mark. I know it's more of a guideline and they say if you don't reach it or you go a little over it's fine. But I worry about not gaining enough and having an underweight baby. With my first and third pg I gained between 23-25 lbs and both came out healthy weight. With

Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 1:16am

Thank you for all of the replies ladies.

My midwife didn't seem to happy with my weight gain last time but seemed to be okay after asking how much weight I put on for my other pregnancies.

I guess I am feeling

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-24-2011 - 9:21am
How is your doc feeling about it? I never gain much weight in the beginning but pack it on more at the end. My doc had a hard time with that during my last pregnancy but now knowing and seeing that, she's totally laid back about my weight gain - or lack there of - this time around.

If you're really concerned, I would up your calories. Maybe see a dietician/nutritionist so that you do it healthily. Me, I tend to devour ice cream sandwiches and Oreos far more than I should!! Maybe add in an additional snack or small meal a day.

But in my opinion, gaining 12 pounds so far is right on track with what you should be gaining, especially if you are more slender [I am too].

I totally see your concerns, and they would be mine too, nobody wants to deliver early for any reason. But really, can they say FOR CERTAIN that it was because of a lower weight gain/baby? Maybe it was something else or just your body that time.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-23-2011 - 8:33pm
If your doc isn't worried I wouldn't be, I'm down 14lbs right now, my 2nd pregnancy I lost 30lbs and she was almsot 9lbs and my 2nd I lost 25 and he was 7lbs. I am not overweight either.