Weight Issues & Freaking Out!

iVillage Member
Weight Issues & Freaking Out!
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 12:19pm

Hello, Friends!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 1:07pm
oh my, I WOULD NOT STRESS about that! But I would not listen to your midwife either. I gained 40 pounds with my last pregnancy and JUST got to pre-pregnancy weight when I found out I was pregnant. I'm normally at a really healthy weight, not too little, not too much. I know they say to only gain 25-35 pounds but it's different for everyone. Now, if you had gained 100, I'd be more concerned but there isn't anything abnormal about 38. Those ranges are just suggested guidelines and everyone's body handles pregnancy differently. I would think the STRESS would be far more harmful to you an the baby than the additional pounds. I'm sure none of us would be excited to gain 38 or more pounds during pregnancy but if it was a weight you could handle, you were still healthy-not having blood pressure or other issues, then don't fret. Obviously, you were able to lose it over time [I don't recall how old your LO is] and get back to a healthy weight, don't worry about it. But, it would require you to be vocal with your midwife and let her know that you're not going to stress it, if you gain a bit more then ok. Do you actually develop GD or does she just want you on that diet to not gain extra weight? If you don't have a medical reason to eat a GD diet, then I wouldn't. That's just me, I don't have the medical knowledge to back myself up, it's just a personal feeling. I'm sorry that you think your gain last time was over the top, in my opinion, it's not, no matter how many pans of snacks you ate. Please don't come watch me eat brownies and oreos!! LOL

In general, I think our society focuses TOO MUCH on weight numbers. I'm 17 weeks and have only gained 1 pound so far too - same with my last pregnancy, I just put it all on at the end. I think you should give yourself a break, have a chat with your midwife, or find someone who isn't so deadset on weight control. This is not a time to diet without real reason. Gaining less than 40 pounds would not be reason in my book. I 'd just laugh at my doctor.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 1:47pm
I think your midwife is putting WAY too much pressure on you. That is insane! I would tell her very clearly that you are not going to obsess about your weight gain so she needs to keep her advice to herself.

I truly do believe if you feed your body nutritious things when you are hungry then you will be fine. Obsessing about every pound you are gaining or calorie that you are consuming is soooo destructive and unhealthy during pregnancy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 1:55pm
I agree with what has already been said. When I was pregnant with my son 9 years ago, I occasionally saw a midwife when my doctor was away on a delivery and she was obsessed about my weight gain, telling me it was way too much and grumbling that I had already gained so much. My doctor wasn't concerned because I didn't have GD or blood pressure problems. Now, I did gain 65 lbs total with my son and I was already overweight to begin with, so it wasn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination. But, I also made poor choices: ate for two, ate what I wanted, had zero exercise.... Gaining 38 lbs isn't anything to freak out about. Putting you on a GD diet is a bit over the top. As long as you are getting your dailies, not eating quantity for two, and getting some exercise, I wouldn't stress about it. The stress is more dangerous than it should be. While she does have your best interests in mind I'm sure, maybe her approach and conclusions are a bit pre-emptive. I would keep doing what you're doing. The general rule for overweight women is to gain 10-15 lbs overall and limit the gain to the third trimester if at all possible. Right now, I think I've gained maybe one pound, but I am up and down lately, sometimes down a few, sometimes up one from pre-pregnancy weight. My doctor told me that I should "try to limit" my gain to 15 lbs, but with my pre-pregnancy weight, I expected that. If you are on the upper end border, don't stress.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 2:29pm

I think 10-15 Lbs weight gain is extremely unreasonable, despite your starting weight. I am more like... 25 Lbs over weight (considered obese on the charts but i don't feel it or think I look it and find it kind of insulting that I am labeled as such when i am not *that* big, IMO...ANYWAYS lol) and my OB in my first pregnancy (and I was BIGGER then) told me no more than 25Lbs! My widwives in my last pregnancy didnt stress one bit or give me a guideline and neither has my Mw this pregnancy. Though we are responsible to make good, healthy choices- our bodies know how much weight we need (or dont need) to maintain a healthy pregnancy. I have friends who are absolute health nuts and keep physically fit all pregnancy who gain 60Lbs per pregnancy! and then I know obese mama's (who may or may not make all good choices during pregnancy, depends on which mom Im refering to) who barely put on weight at all. why? bc your body knows what it needs to sustain a healthy pregnancy! Yuor placenta with fluid weighs, on average about 12 Lbs on it's own. Plus then the weight of baby (say anywhere from 6-10 Lbs, average). Thast right there mean baby +placenta weigh 18-22 Lbs on their own by the end of pregnanyc if mom doesnt gain any weight of her own or build up any water weight. So to ask a mom to only gain 10-15 Lbs is asking you to LOSE body weight while pregnant!! unreasonable.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 3:38pm
I'm on board with everybody else on this one. I can completely relate with you. Unfortunately I started this pregnancy out 10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, which also put me about 7 lbs over weight technically. I've gained 10 lbs so far, despite constantly throwing up with m/s in the 1st trimester. I think when they push you to not gain more than 'x' amount it's ridiculous! I hear this from time to time from people that they've had a care provider freak out on them about their weight gain. Let me tell you, I gained 60 lbs with my first pregnancy and lost it all through exercise by the time DS1 was 18 months old. I gained 65 lbs with DS2 and lost most of it by the time I got pregnant again this go around. I've also had a strained relationship with food and my weight in the past. As a teenager I struggled with anorexia and bulimia, so I made up my mind when I got over that phase that although I want to be healthy I will NOT let someone else dictate to me how I should look/gain/ etc ever. Good luck conquering your concerns!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 6:47pm
Honestly, I would not worry about weight gain, regardless what your midwife is telling you. With my first pregnancy with DD I was told I could only gain 20 pounds...that's it. Well, I gained that 20 fairly quickly regardless of how healthy I ate. I ended up gaining 50 pounds all together and my doctor stopped bringing up the weight gain after I hit 25 pounds. Sometimes that's just how it is. As long as you have a healthy baby, then that's all that matters.

This time around I'm already starting out 25-30 pounds heavier than I was when I got pregnant with DD (thanks to a recent thyroid issue shortly before I got pregnant). Nothing has been said, so far, about how much I should gain this time around. Although I've only gained 6 pounds so far (and I didn't even have m/s). I'm hoping to keep it to a minimum since it will be easier to lose in the end, but I'm not going to stress about it.

Do what you feel is best for you. You can certainly listen to what your midwife's concerns are, but ultimately it's your body, your baby, and your decision.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 3:52pm

I agree with everyone else.

Liz DD (4) & DS (EDD 4/30) Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 12:19am

I too completely agree with everyone on here...your body will gain or lose the weight it needs to in order to have a healthy baby.

Photobucket