C-section mama's

iVillage Member
C-section mama's
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 3:34pm

I know for some mom's VBAC isnt an option or desired so when I came across this article, I though I would share it with those of you have repeat c-sections (or first time CS's).

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 6:05pm
Do you ever have problems doing the skin to skin thing? Have you ever been able to try it after birth? I was never able to handle it after either of my kids were born for any amount of time. I know with DS1 they put him on me and I had to ask them to take him off. I was so sick from the Magnesium and pushing for 3 hours etc that I couldn't hold him on me. I think I fell asleep actually as soon as they finished the initial exam and swept him off to the NICU for observation. I felt awful. After DS2 I couldn't have held him long if I'd wanted to. I went with no meds during delivery (minus the pitocin) and my body took a while to re-regulate. I had the shakes like crazy! I did BF as soon as the initial exams were over (yeouch! No one ever mentioned how badly that hurts after delivery!) and I hope to do that again this time. I am terrified of having a c-section. It seems like it would be an awful recovery. I'd have serious issues with being awake while the baby was taken out. I also can't stand epidurals/back IVs. I had one with my first delivery and it was quite uncomfortable. What has your experience been?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 7:03pm

With my first DD i wasnt well educated or prepared. I knew I wanted a natural birth but when she was breech and wouldnt turn, it ended in a C/S. I didnt even know skin to skin after a CS was something I could ask for or fight for or that I even should so with my first, I didnt get to hold her until an hour after the CS and I was so drugged up (the drugged me after the CS for pain) that I barely remember holding her for the first time.

My second DD was a VBAC, in hospital with a midwife group. I wanted her to stay on the umbilical cord until it stopped pulsing and turned white, since there is tons of evidense that babies benefit from recieving the rest of their blood and zero evidence supporting immediete cutting of the cord. So.. that meant she got to stay right with me since she could go to far with a cord. I didnt have the issue of feeling ill. I have heard of the shaking after being a normal side effect of pit, though, which I didnt have. I held her after her birth and nursed her and didnt hand her off for about an hour after. For me, it was absolutely wonderful and she was so at peace- not the typical, screaming crying just born baby that I always see on video's. She seemed warm and content and like she knew she was right where she should be. It was really nice for us. I loved getting to hold her and bond with her and study her face and remember those first minutes/hours with her where I couldnt with my oldest. Since then, I have read a LOT about the benefits of skin to skin contact for that first hour after birth. It has such a strong effect on the babies health and well being that some babies have even been revived just by eing kept warm against moms body. It's really incredible, really, how good it is for the baby (and the mom too, on a hormonal level).

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 7:36pm
I'm thinking about trying the skin to skin bonding with baby this time. Maybe not immediately after birth, but we will see how it all goes. I'm just hoping for no jaundice this time. That has been an exhausting affair with both the boys because I'm Rh-. They both have had it awful and it has meant lots and lots of extra hospital time where I couldn't hold the baby.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 7:43pm

:(

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 10:55pm

Thanks for sharing. With my DD I was in labour for close to 13 hours before the doctor decided that pushing for more than the 4 hours I had been pushing would be bad for both DD and me and we had to go with an emergency c/s. I wasn't really disappointed since I know I gave it my best shot and so did the doctors and nurses. I didn't however have STS till about 20 minutes or so after her birth, but I did breastfeed her at that time. I remember (somehow I don't remember feeling doped up) her as they first handed her to me and when I first tried to feed her. I was still in a room that wasn't my room or the OR, some kind of inter-mediate location.

I'll be talking to my OB about STS this time, thanks to this article, and I would love to have this experience. I'm hopeful for a VBAC but I've been told that it was my pelvic bone structure that resulted in the c/s the last time around, and that those things don't change. I was, in fact, advised by my OB to not try a natural birth the next time. I will wait until I go into labor naturally, though, barring any complications, so I know this LO is ready to come out when it does, naturally or via c/s.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 1:24am
My OB brought up the idea of a TOL, or trial of labor, instead of scheduling a c/s or saying VBAC or nothing. This allows a natural labor to progress, not inducing unless you are well overdue (2+ weeks), and seeing how it goes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I do know what options I have, though.

With my c/s, I was thankful my doctor went that direction to be honest. If I insisted on vaginal delivery, it could have killed him and at least seriously damaged me if not killed me. I'm not a small gal, but even his size would have messed me up at least to the point of not being able to have children again. My experience wasn't all that bad. Having a spinal in labor wasn't fun with contractions back to back, but after I had it, I felt nothing from chest down. I am fuzzy about what happened in the hour I was in recovery while my bp regulated, but I did get to hold my DS and do recall all of that. I also experienced awful nausea and vomiting for about 10 hours after delivery, but I did try to nurse and hold him as much as I could given my circumstances. My bad experiences were with my care nurse at night, not my delivery method. My nurse was awful. The day after my surgery, my DH, mother, and father-in-law went to have dinner while I got to have alone time with DS. I had just had my catheter taken out and had been helped up once to use the restroom. I started feeling the need to go to the bathroom, so I tried to get up and couldn't without pain (I was trying to not have the pain meds while attempting to nurse), so I kept trying to get my nurse. I tried for 45 minutes to get her, in the meantime, my son was screaming, I was bawling, and I peed all over myself and the bed. She finally came in and scolded me for not taking care of it myself, telling me "You're going to need to learn to do everything yourself, so you'd better stop crying and grow up." Seriously? Serious abdominal surgery not 36 hours prior and you're telling me to grow up, suck it up, and get over it??? Oh, talk about wanting to punch someone. After my DH got back, I told him what happened and he was livid. He called and told my mother, who came down the next morning to have "a word" with the nurse's station and make sure that I did not have the same nurse the following night. I didn't and her replacement was amazing. Loved her. I was up and walking by that point (I refused to call the previous nurse after that one incident), so when DH took me out with the bassinet to walk the halls, she was on desk duty. I laughed, it was hilarious.

Anyway, sorry for diverting off topic a bit, but I actually had a good c/s experience and given that I have a better medical group and hospital this time around, I would do it again. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-22-2011 - 8:18am

I am actually excited about how this birth will be. My first was just a blur. Whatever meds they gave me really screwed me up. Anthony had some breathing issues and had to stay in the nursery and I didn't see him for 6 hours :smileysad: and then I remember them handing him to me while I was sitting in a rocking chair and me telling them to take him cause I was going to drop him! I didn't even push the button for the pain meds cause I didn't want to be even more wacked out.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-30-2011 - 6:39pm

With my first two who were unbelieveable deliveries I had STS right away. However with my 3rd he was an emergency c/s but I was able to have STS about 30 seconds after I got back to my room. I woudln't have changed it for the world as I know it was best for him and myself to have the c-section and I wasn't coherent enough to even think about holding him right away.

Photobucket