Anyone else really struggling with names?

iVillage Member
Anyone else really struggling with names?
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 7:19am

Well, we just found out the gender a few days ago and I'm really frustrated that DH can't narrow down the choices of names to less than 5-7.  He keeps adding to the possible choices to make matters worse.  Not really a big deal right now as we have time before the birth certificate has to be done but I just don't want this baby to be named like weeks after he's born.  With all the other kids we always had a name to call the baby by now.  This one just remains the "anonymous kid."   Just feeling like I can't connect the same.   Anyone else struggling on names?

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 4:01pm

April, that is exactly how we have a girl's middle name picked out--it's a family name. But since we don't know gender yet, we haven't really worried too much about names. We've both thrown some possibilities out. Godo point about narrowing it down to a handful of choices and then picking one that really suits the baby. How many times have you run into an adult or child and wondered why they were given the name they were, as it didn't suit them at all? I know I have!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:56pm

It is funny because with this one we have it narrowed down to 2 names with a slight preference for one of them. This was NOT the case the first two times with my other kids!! We struggled with both kids' names and our daughter didn't have a name until the next morning I think. 

I have been bugging my husband to express a strong preference for one of the two names so we could tell the kids. He won't and said the other day that he prefers to have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 at the birth like we did before as he likes to see the baby before assigning a name. And he is right, one of the names we had for our daughter did NOT suit her personality. I so cannot see her as a Marit... now Astrid would have flown with her personality, but we went with Skadi. 

I am struggling with middle names. We use family names for middle names and I kind of want my grandfather's middle name (Lemuel), but my husband isn't so fond of it. I suspect we will end up with Henry as the middle name as it is my husband's grandfather's name and he just passed away 2 months ago. 

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:14pm

I have names in mind that I like, but DH hasn't really suggested any, I'm waiting until we know the sex of the baby before we start to hash it out. lol Naming a child is a very big responsibility so I definitely want us to take our time with it. To start, we'll both make a list and go from there. :-) 

I should find out toward the end of the month so I'm just working on my list for now... :-D 

Good luck, I understand the not feeling a connection until it's named. We've been calling our baby "Pinto" like the bean for now so that's what we've all been calling him/her for now. :-p

Christina

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 5:15pm

Life has been nonstop around here. Others are asking about names. We've tossed around several, but haven't decided yet.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 10:45am

Lily is our first to have a name by the time we found out she was a girl. our boys took quite a while to decide on a name. with our oldest it took a couple days after the ultrasound, but with our second son it was a couple weeks...we just could not agree on a name and i hated it. i felit the same way as you, like i just couldnt connect as well until he had a name