Anyone freezing meals for post-delivery

iVillage Member
Anyone freezing meals for post-delivery
Sun, 12-16-2012 - 3:58am

Needing some ideas for post-partum dinners to cook up in advance and store in advance.  Some vegetarian options would be great as DH is a vegetarian (but not the rest of us).  So far, the only thing I can think of is a chili sauce (meat and veggie type and can make rice the day of), a tray of lasagna (again, one meat and one veggie), and salmon burgers.  Any other ideas?  Post your recipes if it's not obvious please.  

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2012 - 8:09am

I'm going to make some chicken and sausage gumbo and freeze it.  Other than that, I don't have any other ideas.  I will follow this post and see what ideas I can get too.  With my DS we had a frozen lasagna and some frozen pizza, none homemade!  I gained 10 lbs in the couple weeks after his birth, so I'm looking for some healthy options!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2012 - 2:53pm
I have a chicken pot pie in the freezer (easy to make with leftover chicken, pre made pie crust, bag of frozen veggies and cream of chicken soup) and turkey tetrazini (leftover turkey, spaghetti noodles, rotel, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheese on top).

Alice

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2012 - 3:35pm

aliway809-

Do you just mix it all together and throw it in the crust then bake according to the directions on the crust box.  You are the second person that has mentioned the pot pie idea to me.

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2012 - 6:15pm

I don't know what the pie crust instructions are but it usually takes around 45 minutes to cook (350-375)--if you don't have leftover chicken you can throw cubes of uncooked chicken breast in there as well.

Alice

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-17-2012 - 1:13am

I completely forgot about the potpie idea.  I made it with my last baby and it turned out really well.  Some of my meals had an old taste to them but the potpie was one of the meals that didn't.  Keep the ideas coming ladies as these are awesome!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 1:56pm

Since mostly only pasta type stuff freezes well I tend to just keep ingridients for quick and simple meals in my freezr to throw stuff in the crock pot etc, some of my favorite crock pot meals:

round steak and gravy--round steak, dry onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup serve over rice or egg noodles

chicken terriakki --chicken in terriaki sauce

chicken chilli-chicken, salsa, black beans (corn optional)

cheesy chicken--chicken, cheese soup, cream of chicken soup serve with noodles

I also buy ground beef like 10lbs at a time and brown with onion and freeze in ziploc bags then I can thaw quick and use for tacos or spaghetti sauce

I keep raviolli in freezer as well for a quick meal

I buy my chicken in big packages and freeze in ziploc bags as well to thaw just what I need for a dinner

Alice

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-19-2012 - 1:47am

LOVE the pot pie idea. I'm going to have to do that!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 12:18pm

i plan on freezing a few things, mostly soups, but i do love the pot pie idea and think i may try it! i am sure there will be plenty of meals from visitors in our fridge. otherwise i am planning a lot of quick and simple type meals and take out. with having had gestational diabetes since the beginning of the 2nd trimester there are a lot of junk food type things i have been craving and like i have done with both my boys i plan on indulging in my pregnancy cravings and spreading them all out throughout the first 2 weeks before i get back on a healthy diet. there will definitely be pasta and chinese and pizza in my house after her birth since i cant have it now! :)