Baby Names: What Your Choices Say About You

iVillage Member
Baby Names: What Your Choices Say About You
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 10:16am

It may be your baby's name, but it reveals a lot more about the parent who picked it than the progeny. We asked baby naming experts to weigh in on what each name category -- from biblical to vintage to nature-inspired -- says about the moms and dads who chose it.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/what-your-babys-name-says-about-you/6-b-494273#ixzz29eyrIWBq 

What do you think?  Does your baby naming style fit into any of the categories in the slideshow? If so, do you think the description is fairly accurate? Have you settled on a name for this baby yet or are you still trying to decide?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 12:46pm

We have tended towards different ethnic names. My husband is mostly Norwegian (I am 1/4 Swedish) and we like the Scandinavian names. My husband's name is Hans. And as one of many April's in the 80's, I wanted my kids to have less common names. Our son is Leif and our daughter is Skadi (namesake for Scandinavia).

We have two names for each gender right now - and we don't divulge names ahead of the birth as we don't want everyone else's opinions on them!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 1:21pm

we tend to choose names that you dont hear a lot, or at least we dont hear a lot, but not so unique that in 5 year are gonna make you think wtf was wrong with me? so we go with more classic name or ones that are family names. like you ajcarman72 i am one of the millions of heather's to come out of the 80's and there was always 1 or 2 or sometime more other heathers in my classes growing up, which i hated! hopefully our choices in names will lessen that chance for our kids