Bottles for the nursing baby

iVillage Member
Bottles for the nursing baby
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 11:54am

Hello! I am currently 34.5 weeks along, my little girl is due to join us April 27th. I plan to breast-feed but I also know that while I am working 5 days a week after my maternity leave comes to its end, I will have to pump and she will be bottle-fed (her caregivers are great, a dear friend of mine two days a week and my SO the remaining three days). I am a first-timer, completely clueless about all things breast-feeding other than that I'm dead-set that's how I want to raise my babies, so I've been reaching out for any advice I can get regarding any of it. One big question I have is what type of bottle will make the transition from breast to bottle and back again easiest on my DD? I want her to eat and eat well when she is with her other caregivers but I absolutely want her to transition right back to nursing when I am home with her in the evenings and on weekends. My sister had recommended The First Years Soothie bottles, but they have been discontinued since my nephew was an infant 4 years ago so I am once again at square one. Help! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 6:24pm

I breastfed my 2 boys--one seldom had a bottle the other was a premie and I supplemented every feeding with a bottle for the first month or two.  My understanding from speaking with the lacation consultant with my 2nd since I was concerned about giving him a bottle too every feeding that he would reject the breast is that it doesn't really matter what kind of bottle you use the key is to get a slow flow nipple (most brands have nipples that either say a different age or flow, the younger age ones are slower flow).   I don't know if the shape of the nipple has any real influence it's the ease of getting the milk and breastfeeding takes more effort than a high flow nipple.

Alice
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-21-2013 - 2:13am

Thsi is consistent with what I've read, too: It's the ease of milk flow, so the younger nipples are better for bf babies. I've also read that you should exclusively bf for at last 4 weeks prior to bottle introduction, but that seems to be up for debate.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-23-2013 - 9:11am

Thank you. I have looked into some anti-colic bottles, just in case, but I am still not sure what I will use. Guess I'll just pick up a few different kinds of bottle and a bunch of slow-flow nipples for each and see which ones she prefers. I will probably wait a few weeks before introducing the bottle to make sure bf is well-established, since I do have the time to do so. Thanks again for your help!