C-Sections

iVillage Member
C-Sections
Sat, 03-30-2013 - 1:32am

Well...since everything changed on Monday...so did the method of delivery (hey, while we were at it, why just change a few things when we could change EVERYTHING????). I must say that was the weirdest experience of my life. I think I whined a few times just to make sure I was still in the room. I could hear DH singing to me and holding my had. I heard all kinds of noises and saw bright lights. But I wasn't sure if I was really there or in the middle of some sort of video game or Dr. Who's telephone box (I think that thought was due to the blue sheet in front of me and blue all around). More on that later, but can others share their Caesarean experiences?

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmckslp
Sat, 03-30-2013 - 5:37pm

I had a vaginal birth with my son, but my midwife thinks this one may be too big and have to come via c-section.  I would be interested to hear some first hand experiences too!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-30-2013 - 8:45pm

I have had 2 c-sections (and this will be as well).  The first was after being induced due to pre-eclampsia and being in labor for 3days but not progressing beyond 4 cm.  The 2nd was when I started to develop pre-eclampsia with my second pregnancy and they couldn't induce so c-section was the only option.

The first I had an epidural already so they just gave me more meds thru that, the second they did a spinal (just like epidural only they don't leave the catheter in you they give you the meds-you go numb instantly and they pull it out.

You have a foley catheter inserted to keep your bladder empty and an IV for fluids and meds--my only real complaint about the c-section is they make me very nauseous to the point of dry heaving (empty stomach so nothinhg to vomit) but they did give meds to help with that and the vomitting was mostly positional so if I lay still it's not too bad but did last for 12-18 hrs with both.  They also gave me some pain med in the IV that kept me from needing to take oral pain meds for around 24 hrs.  I don't remember how soon you can get up afterwards (with my first having pre-eclampsia I was on meds and required to be in bed, with my second it was done in the afternoon and I didn't get out of bed till the next day but don't know if I could have gotten up sooner or not)--but walking is the key as soon as you feel up to it you need to walk to get your intestines moving again or the gas pains will kill you!!  They give you a narcotic prescription for pain or the option of advil--I typically took the narcotic the first day and then alternated the narcotic and advil.  They did send me home with a narcotic both times-I never needed it with the 1st c-section at home, but do remember using it at night for a few nights with the 2nd c-section.  (more pain with more c-sections because of scar tissue and cutting thru it).  You can drink pretty soon after the c-section but don't eat till you have bowel sounds and I tend not to want to eat for a day since I feel bloated and till my intestines are really moving but I wasn't hungry either so it wasn't a big deal.   Your incision is really low and stapled shut-- they nurses will check on it in the hospital and since it's in the flap under the belly hanging there they usually give you some sort of surgical pad or just an extra maxi pad to keep it dry when you have the lovely post-partum sweats!  The staples come out 8-10 days after the c-section.  If you have general abdominal pain or severe abdominal pain ask for gas-x a lot of time it's gas pains and it feels worse than surgical pain!!! With my first c-section the ob automatically prescribed it to be given to me every couple of hours, with the 2nd I had to ask for it and wished it had been automatically prescribed.  The key to recovery from the c-section is to walk, walk, walk, as soon as you feel up to it walk the halls--even if just short distances at first but that will help to get the air out of your belly and get your intestines moving again.  My OB said current insurance stay for c-section is 4 days/3nights.  (With my boys it was 6 days/5 nights).  You can't drive for 2 weeks after.

That's all I can think of if you have any other questions just ask!

BTW I much prefered my c-section with out labor and that recovery to my 3 days in labor and then a c-section!

Alice

iVillage Member
In reply to: loui50
Sun, 03-31-2013 - 8:52am

Thanks for sharing Alice!  How long until you get to hold your precious little baby?  That is what I'm worried about.  I want to hold her as soon as she is born but I know that can't happen.  Will they give her to my husband?  I just want my baby!!  Does the baby stay in the room while they close everything up or will they take her away to the nursery?  As long as she is healthy I don't want her to leave the room!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
In reply to: aliwag809
Sun, 03-31-2013 - 4:05pm

I think that is hospital dependent--with my first he was born at 4 am and I held him several hours later--they take the baby out of the OR to the nursery to weigh, measure and put under the warming light and they stitch you up and then you go to the recovery room--for an hour or two--with my 1st I remember waiting to hold him but it was because his temperature needed to come up before they would take him out of the warmer.  They did show him to me in the OR before they took him away and we got a few quick photos.  But I they take all the babies to the nursery to do the vitals so even if I had a natural delivery I would have gotten to hold him for a quick few minutes and then they would have taken him away.

With my 2nd he was a premie and had respiratory difficulties, and he was taken immediately by the NICU staff to the NICU and put on a CPAP they did take me when I was done in recovery to the NICU to see him on my way to my room but I was on a stretcher and when I sat up to see him in is incubator I started dry heaving and they just took me to my room--he was on CPAP and couldn't leave the NICU and I couldn't get out of bed so I didn't hold him till the next morning--when I was up to going to the NICU and by then he was off the CPAP--the nurses were wonderful and I would call and check in on him in the NICU during the night if I woke up and everytime I did the nurse took a polaroid of him and sent it to my room with someone.

DH did stay with both my babies in the nursery and NICU immediately after birth till he was sure everything was ok and I was in recovery and then he came to give me an update but could go back and see them.

Alice

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-01-2013 - 3:40am
Hospital or even doctor-dependent. Our baby was given to DH as soon he was wiped down and had the umbilical cord cut. They had an open warming bassinet for the baby, and when I got to the room, my husband was cooing over him on the warming table.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-02-2013 - 12:49am

I haven't needed the narcotic, either. I am still taking the Motrin, but that's enough for me. I am also taking prenatals, iron (I was a little low, they said), and a bunch of other stuff. I was concerned about the Benadryl, but my milk supply is just fine.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-02-2013 - 7:57am
Why the benadryl?? I wasn't given that.
Alice
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 7:13pm
Poor thing, if a c-section wasn't enough of a complication to end up with hives!!!
Alice
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-04-2013 - 1:14am

Oh sorry for the post without proper explanation. The Benadryl is for a secondary complication: I have a ridiculously sensitive immune system, and went in with a few hives. After delivery, I ended up with hives everywhere the monitors were, under the blood pressure cuff, all over my thighs, etc. I am treating the itchy rash by continuing to shore up my immune system with local honey and cinnamon, putting hydrocortisone on the rash, and taking a couple of doses of Benadryl at night. I was a bit concerned about Benadryl and my milk supply, but this has proven to be a non-issue for me.

winter 2010 siggy