'Expecting a Baby' Option

iVillage Member
'Expecting a Baby' Option
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 8:07am

Single, in a relationship, engaged, married and now, expecting a baby?

Facebook is now encouraging people to share that next big life event -- pregnancy -- by adding "expecting a baby" as an option on timelines.

"Life Events are easy and expressive ways to mark significant moments in your life such as getting married, buying a house or traveling to new places. If you choose to, you can now share that you are expecting a baby with your friends on Facebook," Matthew Dierker wrote on behalf of the company on a Facebook news page.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/facebook-adds-expecting-status_n_1778689.html?ncid=edlinkus...

Interesting!  Anyone planning to update their timeline with the 'expecting a baby' option? If so, will you wait a while (second trimester maybe) or do you plan to update it now?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 9:48am

Hmmmmm....certainly an interesting change.  I go back and forth about facebook and how involved I am with it.  I like to follow my friends and see what they're up to, especially when life is busy and I don't get to see them as frequently as I'd like, but I HATE the constant updates that some people feel the need to supply (i don't need to know what you ate for breakfast, or what your exact daily schedule is, ect.). 

We will certainly post our pregnancy news on facebook after the first trimester so that friends/family we don't see/talk to frequently will know the big news, but I'm not sure I'd change my timeline to reflect "expecting"......I guess we'll see.  On the positive side, for those who miss the initial post, this "expecting" event would likely be a way for them to see the news up until birth.....