Fatherhood Education...

iVillage Member
Fatherhood Education...
Mon, 03-18-2013 - 5:22pm

How educated to you feel your partner is about parenthood? Any concerns? As we get closer to the pregnancy finish line and the start of the parenting outside the womb starting block, I find myself a bit anxious about DH and his lack of knowledge about newborn stuff. We have discussed things like discipline, rasing children, etc., but things like around-the-clock feedings and where and how babies sleep (or not) for the first few months are really new to him. I figure many fathers have gone into this process clueless and made it out alive at the other end. Please share your experiences (since a lot of you here are not first time moms!).

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-18-2013 - 5:38pm

My DH had not even held a baby before out 2 year old was born.  It took him about a week to figure it all out and he was fine.  I think the nurse scared him a little when she just handed him our DS in the delivery room!  She said to him, "it is just like holding a football", lol.  He changed his first diaper in the hospital and I only had to show him once.  Believe it or not, he asked when he needed help.  As for feedings, we tried to nurse and were not successful as my milk never came in, so we bottle fed.  We just took turns with who got up.  The only arguement was who was going to get up first, lol.  I'm not worried too much about the newborn stuff this time.  I'm more worried about how we are going to juggle 2!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-18-2013 - 7:49pm

This is #3 for me!  Dh was clueless with our first and really worried about a newborn (he had never held a baby and had no interest in them at all) and then he held our son and the world changed!!!!!  He walked into my post partum room the day after he was born and said this was great when are we having our 2nd! Now mind you I had been in labor for 3 days on bedrest due to pre-eclampsia and then still had to have a c-section and was rather tramatized by the whole experience so this was NOT the conversation I was expecting!  Our 1st also had very good head control and never was a floppy baby and I nursed exclusively so dh didn't have to get up for feedings (I did pump every once in a great while so dh could feed him)--he was a very good baby who slept 6 hrs at a strech by 6 weeks old and slept 12 hrs a night by 3 months old--so he was a good one to start with.    #2 was a premie nursed an hr/slept an hr and I supplemented all night time feedings with formula and I would go to bed early in the evening and dh would feed him a bottle before he came to bed to try and give me at least 3 hrs in a row of sleep.

Needless to say I hope this one follows in my 1st's sleep patterns!!

Alice

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 12:59am

I could see my DH thinking--but trying really hard not to say anything--about #2 the following day!

Thanks, ladies--that was just the kind of encouragement I needed. I am sure he's going to be a great daddy--he has great instincts when it comes to seeing what help is needed and just doing it--WAY better than mine! Another sign: When I was thinking aloud about my afternoon work schedule, I figured out two days where an afternoon feeding will need to be done by bottle. One of them is sometimes a busy day for DH, where he sometimes has to work late. So I suggested that the babysitter might need to do the feeding that day. He frowned, shook his head, and said he'd make sure he was home for at least the first couple of months.

winter 2010 siggy