Filling the freezer, ideas?

iVillage Member
Filling the freezer, ideas?
Thu, 03-21-2013 - 6:05pm

I have started to fill my freezer for after delivery.  Is anyone else doing the same?  I know we have had this thread before, but now that it is close, I thought we could share ideas. Here is what I'm making

Chicken and sausage gumbo, 2 meals

2 meatloafs, frozen raw

24 Breakfast burritos, we will eat these for breakfast or dinner

24 mini omlets cooked in muffin tins

big batch of pancakes

blueberry and bran muffins

3 pans of Enchiladas

2 small lasagnas

Anyone have any good freezer food ideas to share?

Of course I also put 4 loafs of bread, 2 big packs of lunchmeat, 2 big packs of sliced cheese in the freezer and I stocked up on canned soup that myself and DH like and there is always PB&J for my DS!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-24-2013 - 4:46pm
I like the list you have but don't forget the crock pot. I like to make fresh things and putting it into the crock pot and like it cook all day long is fine for our family. I just love to make beef stew and my own soup, meatballs and sauce, sausage and sauce. etc. I love the cock pot and my husband loves to cook as well.
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-24-2013 - 12:46pm
A couple of weeks ago I did a 5 hour marathon cooking spree where I cooked for 3 weeks for our family of 6 with one on the way. My DH is vegetarian (but eats fish), my youngest son has multiple food allergies to milk, eggs, wheat, nuts and legumes, and spices. The rest of the clan eats normally. So with a ton of planning and looking on pinterest, I finally came up with a menu that used many of the same ingredients and made a grocery list. Then I went shopping in one day and after a two day break did the cooking. I wore myself out and literally couldn't walk for a day or so but I felt SOOOO much better. I'll be having a meal train for those of us who eat normal but I'm like you Catherine, I couldn't ask friends to cook for all our weird eating habits. I planned ten meals for each of us and doubled it. I don't like frozen rice at all so the meals that require rice I have to throw on but that's NBD. But yeah, off the top of my mind I did chicken curry sauce, meat and veggie lasagna, burritos, beef stew, tuna casserole, and several other dishes. Oh...and I baked several batches of choc. chip cookies and froze the batter. HTH
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 7:14pm

My family is not huge on casserolles so I haven't put many meals in the freezer but I have stocked it and the pantry-

frozen bread

ravioli

chicken breasts frozen in ziploc to take out 1 meal at a time

cooked ground beef in 1 meal size for spaghetti, ravioli, chilli, tacos

tetrazini

chicken pot pie

linguine ala a ann (alfredo/ham casserole)

burrito shells

frozen pizza

kid food--nuggets, mozzerella sticks

Pantry: taco stuff

mac & cheese

school lunch stuff (chips, cookies, crackers)

pretty much just doubled most everything I keep in pantry so I only have to get fresh produce/lunchmeat in the house for the first 2-3 months

Alice
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-21-2013 - 8:50pm

I really need to do some of this. Chances are, we will have plenty of relatives around for the first week or so, then more to come. But we all have so many allergies that I'm not about to request a meal train or anything (gee...I would have to say...no onions of any variety--not even onion powder, no corn or dextrose, no dairy--only the truly crazy would dare sign up for that meal train!).

We usually do steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast, and hubby can fix that himself. I should make up some extra bread for PBJs--good idea. Other than that, I'm thinking a good mac and cheese casserole, roast sliced and divided into dishes, and frozen veggies are some of the ideas that will be in our freezer.

winter 2010 siggy