How many doctors/MWs in your practice?

iVillage Member
How many doctors/MWs in your practice?
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:08am

With DD there were 2 doctors in the practice, but they switched off with other doctors at the hospital so you weren't guaranteed to get either of them for delivery of your baby.  This is why I switched practices....I LOVED my doctor (and I ended up having him deliver my daughter as he happened to be on-call that night), but I wasn't guaranteed anything at time of delivery and his office was not convenient for me to travel to.

My new doctor's office has 6 doctors and deliver at the same hospital as my previous doctor.  As explained before I can get any doctor on-call at the time of delivery....who knows, maybe I'll get my previous doctor again?!?!?!  6 seems daunting, but I figured scheduling appointments would be easier with more doctors and hopefully I'll find 1 or 2 I like before my due date - though they recommend I meet all the doctors before delivery.

Just curious how big everyone else's practice is and how delivery works at your hospital?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:29am

Mine consists of my OB/GYN and a midwife.  He does pair up with another local practice (also a OB/GYN and midwife) and they fill in for each other keeping tabs on each other's patients on off weekends.  I've gone into labor twice on my own (3 of 4 have been scheduled c-sections) and had my dr. each time for the surgeries.  Sometimes I think it's the luck of the draw, but they should be able to tell you that up front as to how their office works.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:56am

there are 3 doctors and 2 midwives in our practice. i like them all for the most part. with my last pregnancy i had my fav dr there when i was indced but by the time i delivered she had switched with my least favorite and he wasnt even there for delivery, a nurse delivered him. normally that wouldnt bother me since i didnt like him all that much, but he knew i was very nervous about delivery and knew my son had trisomy 18 and that it was important to me for the doctor to be there and he still chose to be at home in bed. he even toll the nurse when she called him that he had to get ready and i had to wait (yeah, didnt happen) but i really love the other two and they were so supportive and great last time so i stuck around and make sure i schedule with the other doctors

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 12:08pm
I have 2 Drs. In the practice and 1 mw. There used to be 3 Drs. I've liked them all. With my first DS, they were all one vacation for spring break so a different dr. Delivered me. Our mw doesn't deliver. I've been with them for over 6 years now so I feel I have a good relationship with them and like them a lot!
Photobucket