Infant car seat recommendations

iVillage Member
Infant car seat recommendations
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 12:16pm

My youngest is 10 and WOW have things changed!   Any recommendations for infant car seats?? And tend ot have healthy size babies so ones that go to higher weights would be good.  Let me know what you are getting or have and why please!

Alice

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 10:26pm
I got a Graco Zoey infant car seat. I have been using a Maxi Cosi for my daughter we got from a friend in 2009 that was made in 2008 and I am not one of those I believe in expiration of plastic it has been well taken care of. I think if you take care of it well and buy an infant car seat then your convertible it should last you until they need just the seat booster that is pretty cheap when they are about 4-5. Don't miss up on some good sales during the holidays. I have been buying everything needed! http://www.diapers.com/p/graco-snugride-30-infant-car-seat-zoey-106452?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=GS-304&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1403652378&utm_content=pla&cagpspn=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 6:32pm

Only buy new is the conclusion I have come to, as well. I did explain the expiration limit to a person reselling a car seat on a local used website. Her response was that an old carseat ws better than none at all, and she was hoping to find a person who couldn't afford a carseat to give it to. I chose not to get into it with her online, but thought...providing someone with a false sense of security should be criminal...

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 12:38pm

Only buy new for car seats. You don't know the history of a carseat and once they have been in an accident (even fender bender), they are required to be replaced, and insurance will pay for it. Just not something to take a chance on!

My older kids' seats were good for 5-6 years. But typically speaking - aside from the Britax Regent which has a huge weight limit - my kids have grown out of their seats before they have expired. Just be careful if you pass the seat down to another child. I put my daughter in our Marathon and then realized it expired.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 12:38pm

Only buy new for car seats. You don't know the history of a carseat and once they have been in an accident (even fender bender), they are required to be replaced, and insurance will pay for it. Just not something to take a chance on!

My older kids' seats were good for 5-6 years. But typically speaking - aside from the Britax Regent which has a huge weight limit - my kids have grown out of their seats before they have expired. Just be careful if you pass the seat down to another child. I put my daughter in our Marathon and then realized it expired.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 12:35pm
I am leaning towards the Chicco. Graco is a close second. I had a Graco SnugRide with my two - way back when the seats had a limit of 20 lbs. Kind of looking forward to the 30 lbs limit this time around. I have had good luck with the Britax seats for my older ones, haven't looked at what they have for the infant bucket seats yet though.
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-28-2012 - 3:59pm
I was told they are only good for 3 yrs now--better look that up! I am looking for an infant seat that goes into stroller or grocery cart, I know you have to change them out later--but also heard they need to be rear facing longer than they use to.

Alice

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-28-2012 - 2:28am

I like the Chicco Keyfit 30 and the Graco Click Connect.  The chicco seems to be really sturdy and safe but is a bit hot and heavy.  But it is unisex and can be passed on to another kid.  The graco one is good from newborn to age 2 and seems pretty sturdy yet lightweight as well but doesn't fit alot of strollers or a shopping cart (which is a must for me as eventually you have to do grocery shopping).  HTH!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 8:15pm

I just started researching this. So far, I've read that most car seats have a shelf life of 5-6 years--safety during a crash cannot be guaranteed after that time due to breakdown of materials. Since laws here in California require children in car seats until age 7, I'm thinking new is the best way to go on this one. Past that, I'll take any advice anyone has!

winter 2010 siggy