Keeping the Name a Secret?

iVillage Member
Keeping the Name a Secret?
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:10am

Rosie Pope (maternity concierge and star of Bravo's 'Pregnant in Heels') recommends that you don't share your name choice unless you are ready to hear possible negative reactions.

'Pregnant in Heels' Star Rosie Pope on Baby NameTrends-http://www.ivillage.com/pregnant-heels-star-rosie-pope-baby-name-trends/6-a-337836?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

Once you've decided on the perfect name, do you plan to share it with your friends and family prior to baby's birth or will you keep it to yourself until baby is born?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 11:02am
We aren't finding out the gender, but we have names picked out for both a boy and a girl that we are not telling. Partly because we don't want to hear opinions, and partly because there is a SLIGHT chance we will change our minds during the pregnancy, or even when we see his/her face for the first time.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 11:02am

weve never kept names a secret. with my oldest my mom kept saying we need to come up with a nickname for philip when we decided on the name and i made it clear to everyone that my child and any future children will be called by the name my husband and i give them, and that they werent to make up some short version before he was even born just because they were too lazy to use his given name. with my second, the name discussion became moreof a group thing and people kept throwing in their opinion and shooting down some of our names, which annoyed me a lot. this time were gonna decide on a name on or own and tell people when we decide and if there are any opinions or "what are we gonna call him/her for short" remarks ill tell them the same thing i said the first time. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:51am

I never have, and never ran into negative feedback until #4.  My Mom refused to call her by name, I was told by many it was too much name and just got a lot of flack.  Now that she's here, I've heard nothing but positives.  And the negative nellies are too absorbed by the baby, rather than focusing on the name.  :smileywink:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:49am

With DD we kept her name a secret and, although we haven't discussed it yet, I'm planning to do the same with this baby.  While my DD's name was not unique in any way (Ashley) i just didn't want to hear anyone else's comments (good or bad) or suggestions on other names to consider.  DH and I went through our naming process and that's what we agreed on....enough said!

We figured since we didn't keep the gender a surprise (to ourselves or others) we'd keep the name a surprise from everyone.....drove our family nuts :smileyhappy: