Newborn essentials

iVillage Member
Newborn essentials
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 11:45am

I'm starting over with baby stuff since my boys are 10 and 12--what do you consider absolutely essential for the first 6 months of baby's life??

Alice

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 5:25pm

I was told this was a pretty good list:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/what-to-buy-pregnancy

The moms I ran this by suggested doubling the number of each clothing piece mentioned, and to shp around for the type of baby bath (some used foam inserts in a regular bathtub, they said). Some also didn't find the mobile necessary, although I kinda think it's good for the mental stimulation. Some moms laso liked mittens for the hands.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 7:19pm

Definitely some night gowns!  They are the best for middle of the night diaper changes.  Also zip up sleepers.  My DH asked me not to even buy the snap up sleepers this time!  Make sure you have NB and size 1 diapers on hand as some babies skip to newborn ones all together.  We don't even buy newborn clothes.  My son was only 7 lbs and still never wore NB clothes.  Just my thoughts!  

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 11:02pm

There are a couple of NB size outfits in the stuff I bought. I am kind of figuring I won't use them...

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 1:35am
Really easy cotton suits that you can throw straight in to the washer.You can also layer the suits with singlets or cardigans depending on the weather. Little ones can sleep in these suits and spend the day in them making day routines easier. Save frills and clothes which need ironing for visiting.

Kerry Harley

Early Childhood Coach

earlychildhoodcoach@gmail.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 11:24am

i think the essentials list is different for every family but for us it includes a pack & play (or any bedside sleeper type thing) because at first im gonna be too lazy to make trips u and down the stairs for diaper changes and putting her down and too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night and go into her room when shes crying. the close she is the more sleep i get. a good supply of cloth diapers and a few packs of disosables for the early merconium days. plenty of comfy newborn sleepers, gowns and onesies because my kids tend to be small and grow at a slower rate so they stay in nb longer than the average baby. a swing and a good baby wearing device are also essential here so i can get things done around here and have time for the rest of the family.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 4:46pm

I think we're pretty good to go, now. We still need a car seat and baby monitors. The nursery still isn't decorated yet--existing furniture isn't yet moved so it can be. It's on the honey-do list...

winter 2010 siggy