Planning for visitors after baby's birth

iVillage Member
Planning for visitors after baby's birth
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 6:59pm

We are finding ourselves already starting to plan for company after the baby's birth. My parents are planning to come help us out for a few weeks right before and after. Other relatives are talking about May and June, hoping they won't be "in the way." So far, all those who are planning to come and stay for a stretch are the helpful kind, who won't expect to be entertained by anyone except the baby and can find their way around household necessities such as the kitchen and laundry room. Anyone else have company planned?

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 4:58pm

Awww, I WISH my family could come and visit and stay for a while after the birth.  Looks like baby and I and the rest of the gang will have to make a trip back to the US after getting the passport for the baby.  But that's ok.  Otherwise, we'll just have some friends (probably a bunch) to pay short visits and cook for us 2 weeks afterwards as that's the custom here.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-26-2012 - 12:45pm

I was really suprised my sister-in-law suggested that she take vacation time to come stay with us for several days. My husband adores his sister (I do, too) and is eager for her visit. It really seems like a win-win situation for everyone!

We've been trying to set up food trains for as many new moms around here as we find out about, usually 2-3 weeks worth. I am near a miliitary base, and a lot of military spouses try to help each other out with the early years. Most are MUCH younger than I am (if I'd started having babies in my teens, some could easily be my daughters), but they accept me into their group, anyway, LOL!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-29-2012 - 11:08am

Yes with my first child my mom stayed with us after the baby was born and it was wonderful.  She cooked, cleaned and did laundry.  She helped out a lot with the baby.  I felt like I was in a hotel the first week after I delivered.   My mom did stay for about 2 weeks. Then my aunt would stop by 2 or 3 times a week after that because she loved the baby so much and would do my laundry and keep my house straigtened up and surprise me with dinners.   The second child my mom came for 1 week and did all of the above and my aunt has always came by to help.  Now with the 3rd child coming my mom told me she has 2 weeks to stary with me and I am delighted and my aunt of course said she has plenty of free time for me.  I am blessed with both of them.   It is great to have the help.  Oh yea and my mil is always coming over to help and she lives the closest to me (local) so she is here at least 3 times a week.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 1:29pm
Ugh yes. Having one person come visit (i.e., my mom or my MIL) was nice with the first two. I could deal with that and for the most part they were actually helpful. My mother has since passed away and I don't expect anyone from my family. Though my best friend wants to come visit (who is not married and has no children) to help and I just don't foresee this going well. I adore her, but she is terribly selfish and in the past has been irritated by little things - like having to bail on pedicures because I had to pick up kids at daycare on time. So I have kind of pushed her off. The worse part is that my SIL wants to plan her wedding for April 20th because the freaking Farmer's Almanac says it will be a nice day. She is the only family that lives here, so that means ALL my inlaws will be traveling here. My MIL has tried to encourage her to push it back into May or June because I will likely be at best, 2 weeks post partum and the baby will still be tiny. She won't hear of it and I finally left it with her that me and the baby may very well not be able to attend, she is fine with this. And as I told my husband I will NOT have a housefull of people for her wedding, they can all hotel it, and they need to remember that we will no longer even have a guest room. Anyways... so that is the joy of guests at our house after the baby comes!