Pregnancy sleep troubles, anyone?

iVillage Member
Pregnancy sleep troubles, anyone?
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 11:42pm

I am not sure if it's my excitement with rotating anxiety, but I wake up a few times a night-either something wakes me up or I have to pee etc.- and have a hard time going back to sleep. I remember with DD I would wake up crazy-early (not normal for me before becoming a parent!) all bright-eyed and bushy tailed. This time I am waking up in the middle of the night and wide awake so it's even less convenient...I am not drinking caffeine, although last night I had a really hard time (almost 3 hours!) getting back to sleep, which made me wonder if the barista gave me caff instead of decaf yesterday am!

I am usually wiped out by 2 or 3 and it lasts until anwhere between 5-8 and then I'm just tired until bedtime. I just don't know if it's me being anxious about hoping this pg works out or if it's the hormones (this early?? I'm 6 weeks).

I am going to try a warm (not hot!) bath tonight and see if it helps!

:smileyhappy:

TTC 2 Journey 10 mos ttc naturally with Met (all bfn) June 2010 back on clomid 100mg x 7 days-BFP! M/C August 4 more rounds of clomid (3 w/ IUI) all BFN March clomid plus injectables -BFN April = natural cycle May back to clomid plus injectables
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 6:04am
I could have written this myself. First symptom for me is insomnia. It's crazy! I'm as tired as can be, sleep for 2-3 hours, then I'm up for a few hours, then, if I'm lucky, back asleep for a few hours. Not the best feeling ever, but I guess it's for a good reason :smileywink:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 10:09am
I'm the same way. Insomnia is the one symptom that has stayed constant with all three pregnancies. Every time I go to bed early and am up all night and up early the whole pregnancy. Probably my body preparing me for life with a newborn again
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 10:23am
Oh whew, it's not just me then. I don't think I had this before so I'm glad to hear that it's a pg sign (not that I'm glad that you guys aren't sleeping, of course :smileywink:. I did better last night-slept until 5 before waking up first time-an improvement! Haha My first u/s is today so I thought for sure I'd be tossing and turning all night...
Well, hopefully we can survive on power naps..?
;-)
TTC 2 Journey 10 mos ttc naturally with Met (all bfn) June 2010 back on clomid 100mg x 7 days-BFP! M/C August 4 more rounds of clomid (3 w/ IUI) all BFN March clomid plus injectables -BFN April = natural cycle May back to clomid plus injectables
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 2:47pm

Hugs ladies.  I'm right there with you on the insomnia.  It started early for me in the first trimester (added to a toddler who wasn't yet sleeping through the night), but then resolved a bit in the second trimester.  Now that I'm nearing the home stretch, forget it, lol.  It's a wonder I sleep at all.  :smileywink:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 4:50pm
I have been having trouble sleeping too. I read that the increase in progesterone in the beginning of pregnancy can cause sleep disturbances. Who knows! I go to sleep okay, but I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep :smileysad: At least I got a nap today when my 19 month old was napping :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 4:55pm

Thanks everyone for sharing, I like feeling like I"m not alone wondering what the heck is going on in there. I hadn't thought about the progesterone connection. Here I am, starting to yawn at 2pm, but if I wake up at 2 or 3 am, I bet there will be no tiredness! haha