Pregnancy Trend Alert: Gender Reveal Cakes!

iVillage Member
Pregnancy Trend Alert: Gender Reveal Cakes!
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 10:10am

Finding out the sex of your baby from the ultrasound tech has become passe. In 2012, expectanting parents are discovering whether they're having a boy or girl in a sweeter and much more public way -– with a gender reveal cake. Here's how it works: Couples ask the ultrasound tech or OB to write down their baby’s gender and they seal the note in an envelope, which parents bring to a bakery. The cake-maker then prepares a confection that reveals nothing on the outside, but is filled with either pink or blue frosting. The first slice spills the secret! 

The Biggest Pregnancy Trends of 2012-http://www.ivillage.com/biggest-pregnancy-trends-2012/6-b-470484#ixzz22OezUTFt 

Such a fun idea!  Is anyone planning to do something similar? 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 11:59am

This sounds like fun, but I'm not that patient.  I'm already itching to know and I'm only 9 weeks!!  11 weeks to go before I find out.!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 4:18pm

A college friend of mine did this....though there was food coloring in the cake, not icing, but same idea.  i thought it was creative and cute....but like the others said I'm not sure I'm patient enough.  And my friend did it during a party with friends....I'm not sure I want to find out with a lot of other people around.

I'll have to talk to DH about it, but my guess is that we'll just wait and have the U/S tech tell us during the anatomy scan :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 11:26am
That's a really cute idea! I would color the cake itself, tho.

This would be cute for a way to announce to OTHERS the gender if you don't think you could wait. If we weren't Team Green I would consider doing this.