Pregnancy weight gain

iVillage Member
Pregnancy weight gain
Wed, 12-05-2012 - 2:33pm

Having a history of being morbidly obese (my entire life) I am having a horrible time with weight gain.  I am gaining more than the 3 lbs a month my doctor recommended although he hasn't said anything about it--I gained 5 lbs that last 2 months.

So my questions are:

how much weight have you gained so far?

in prior pregnancies how much did you gain total??

In prior pregnancies how much did you loose with out effort after baby came?

Alice

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 11:51am

5 lbs the last two months isn't bad! Everyone is different. Try not to worry too much about it right now as long as you are eating healthy and getting a bit of exercise (though I shouldn't be talking on that subject, my exercise has sucked).

At my 22 week appt I was up 1.2 lbs. A few notes on that though because I don't want anyone to think that is where they should be. I tend to get pretty sick for the first 18 to 20 weeks and lose weight. I also (unfortunately) haven't hit that point where food sounds at all appetizing. Once of my friends told me her favorite part of being pregnant was getting to eat for two. My least favorite part of being pregnant is facing food. I am just to the point where I can stomach most foods, but now my stomach has no room and I end up eating like my 5 year old daughter - like a bird.

Previous pregnancies - I gained 24 and 27 lbs respectively I think. I expect this one will be a touch less - expect I will land somewhere around 22 lbs.

Lose without effort after baby? Depends on what time frame you are talking about. After 6 mos of nursing my son I had lost the weight plus some. With my daughter I lost about half the weight after nursing and went on Weight Watchers once she was 1 year old and weaning to lose the rest.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 11:22am
Being that I have gained 20, I think 12 is great and I can't imagine getting halfway thru the pregnancy and only gaining 5 lbs!

Alice

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 7:24am

I have gained 12 so far.  My midwife said that she would like for me to have only gained 5 at this point!  I thought 12 was good because at this point with me son I had gained about 20.  With my first pregnancy I gained 33 total, so we shall see!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 1:48am

I've gained 16 so far; doc says it's fine.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2012 - 3:34pm

My first pregnancy I lost 20 at first because I couldn't eat, then gained about 30. While some came off right away, a bunch stayed on, and then I gained more after giving birth, so was heavier when I got pregnant the second time. That time I gained about 35, and lost all plus about 30 more within 6 months (did know it until later, but I was sick so not sure I can count any of that weight loss as "mine").  The third time again gained about 40, and was able to lose it all (but had to work on exercising to do it) within less than a year. So far this time, I'm up by about 15.  I try not to pay too much attention to the scale in general, though, so all my numbers are estimates.

If you're doctor isn't making a fuss, then I'd say you're doing just fine. He/she would let you know if there was a problem with you gaining.  Best of luck.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2012 - 2:46pm

I'm up by 8lbs now.  1st pregnancy gained 60lbs (was super thin though).  2nd pregnancy gained 20 total but baby was low birthweight (4.5 lbs at 37 weeks). 3rd preg I gained 25.  4th I gained 30.  I lost half my weight with all babies w/in a week after delivery and the rest after I weaned from bfing except my 4th pregnancy.  With my 4th pregnancy, I walked out the hospital and had a weight loss (5 lbs) somehow that was less than my baby's weight (6.5 lbs).  Weird but true.  Interested to hear other stories.