So long, back sleeping!

iVillage Member
So long, back sleeping!
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 5:21pm

It has officially hit: Sleeping on my back means a painful lower back. But sleeping on my back is a nautral position for me. I am really trying to figure it out! I've read that sleeping on one's back as the pregnancy progresses may actually be harmful to baby, as well, wiht regards to decrasing oxygen supply and bloodflow. Many experts think that it doesn't matter whether you sleep on the left or right side. So I'm trying! It is so diffcult, though. Last night, I did actually get a better night's sleep and wake up without back pain, so I think I must have been more successful than I have so far in staying off the back.

Anyone else a natural back sleeper? Stomach sleeper, anyone, and trying to break the habit?

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 8:32pm

I have a really bad back, so back pain is totally normal for me.  I have started to have that feeling like someone set a brick on my stomach though when I lay on my back, so I'm starting to sleep on my sides.  I'm soooo a back sleeper though.  So it is tough!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:09pm

I tend to wake up sleeping on my back although I typically fall asleep on my right side. Since I've gained my baby bump now I know I need to start staying on my side so I've been using my body pillow between my knees and to hug so that I stay on the side. It seems to be helping a lot and I've also read that it's good for lower back and hip pain. Give it a try! :-)

Christina

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 1:03am

I'm with you on the back sleeping as I can lay on my back for about 30 secs-1min and then I start feeling short of breath/ dizzy/ nauseated and that's my cue to roll over.  I'm currently getting readjusted to sleeping on my side and the typical hip pain that follows.  But, I've kinda discovered a new way to sleep which is to sleep with a little weight on my stomach but most on my side.  It's like side sleeping but I tilt a little forward onto my bump which then gets pushed to the opposite side a bit and is still comfy.  HTH.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 11:08am

i am a tummy sleeper, and if i dont put a pillow to block me while i sleep, i tend to wake up at least partially on my tummy, which does not feel good! i tend to make myself a pillow nest to keep comfy while pregnant. it means no hubby cuddles once im ready to sleep, but thats a sacrafice im willing to make to get some sleep! lol

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:42pm

It is really hard! I am a natural stomach sleeper, so I haven't been in my natural position for awhile now. I tend to rotate between my sides (my hips ache bad when I sleep on my sides) and then a modified back sleeping where I have a pillow under one side of my back so I am inclined a bit and not laying flat on my back. Try that!

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 12:37pm
I'm a back sleeper too, and doc mentioned today in my check-up that it's time to start being careful about how long I lay on my back. Though she did say that it doesn't have to be fully rolled onto my side, just not completely flat on my back, so maybe if we rotate our hips a bit, that will be enough? Not sure, as I just had the conversation this morning, so haven't tried anything new yet. I have memories of the doc telling me with past pregnancies that my body would figure out that I needed to move from my back to my side during sleep without my needing to worry about it too much... Lately my three-year-old is waking a couple times a night having lost all his covers and needing help to get settled in again, so I'm not sleeping straight through anyway, maybe that will be enough to keep me off my back! Good luck, ladies!