What DON'T You Need?

iVillage Member
What DON'T You Need?
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 12:55pm

BTDT mamas- what baby items did you buy/receive for your previous children that you just didn't use?  What items sounded like a good idea but just didn't work for you?  Share with our first-time mamas as they start stocking up on baby items!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 2:29pm

Slings. I think I am just a klutz... I just never got the hang of them for infants. Or my kids were just uncooperative. Nope, I think I am just a nervous klutz. I still have my slings, and I am sure I will probably try again, but we ended up using the Baby Bjorn and when the kids were a touch older and could be upright unassisted, we loved our Kelty backpack.

The swing - some babies love them, some hate them. We have a small tabletop swing, but neither of my kids were huge fans.

The most common thing I see people list that they didn't use is a wipes warmer - but we LOVED ours when our kids were itty bitty. We even replaced it when the first one died.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 4:09pm
Those super-fancy diaper bins that require special bags to use them. We found that they need to be emptied way too many times, break down, and don't really do that much better job in containing the smell than a good bin with a tight-fitting lid. The cute little diaper hanger/organizer thing that's supposed to make it easier to reach/find diapers at the changing table. Just an extra step that wasn't needed... though perhaps the room would have looked nicer if we'd used it instead of having a stack of diapers next to the wipes box on the table. And the floor play-mat things. They always seem like a great idea (we've had three kids, got these types of things with every one of them, and never really used them. Instead babies ended up on regular blankets for play time on the floor, and played with us or other kinds of toys.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-28-2012 - 5:50pm

You don't need a bedding set, you will likely only end up using the sheet and bed skirt, the quilt can't be used until baby is much older and most bumpers are considered danerous unless they're the mesh "breathable" kind.

I also found a high chair was a complete waste of money, never used ours.  We just got one of those travel/clip on chairs and used it on our kitchen island.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 8:10pm

My Diaper Genie ended up being the "waste of money" of all of the things I 'had to have'. If you didn't empty it out every other day it would start stinking up the nursery...what's the point? We just started recycling our grocery sacks for diaper disposal and it was much more convenient for us. I have a couple friends that said they ended up doing the same thing, I'm sure it works for some, but didn't for us! lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 8:10pm

My Diaper Genie ended up being the "waste of money" of all of the things I 'had to have'. If you didn't empty it out every other day it would start stinking up the nursery...what's the point? We just started recycling our grocery sacks for diaper disposal and it was much more convenient for us. I have a couple friends that said they ended up doing the same thing, I'm sure it works for some, but didn't for us! lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers