What Pregnancy Books Are You Reading?

iVillage Member
What Pregnancy Books Are You Reading?
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 10:49am

If they gave out letter grades for correctly following baby book advice, I would have been an “A” student. The cliché of a nervous, first-time mom, I eagerly read multiple advice books and did my best to follow them all.

Somewhere around my seventh month, my husband read that a woman’s water often breaks at night and therefore, women should sleep on a shower curtain to protect the mattress. In addition to the general sleeping discomfort most pregnant gals experience in their last months, mine was also the noisy sleep of one tossing and turning on loud, plastic sheets. We won’t talk about the fact that he also insisted we take our older car to the hospital for the same reasons (didn’t want to risk ruining the seats in the newer, nicer car), or the fact that I had to sit on a towel during the drive – just in case. Of course, in the end they had to break my water for me.

http://moms.today.com/_news/2012/11/23/15265077-pregnancy-books-offer-some-crazy-advice-and-us-girlfriends-follow-most-of-it?lite

Hehe!  This article made me laugh.  Have you (or your partner) been reading any pregnancy books (during this pregnancy or previous pregnancies)?  What's the craziest piece of advice you've read in a pregnancy book? Any books out there that you really enjoy reading while expecting?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 12:07pm

The one that still plagues us and being on our third baby is somewhere my husband read that if you paint the baby's room yellow, he/she will be cranky! He has latched onto this and will NOT let go. So for our first two - since we didn't find out gender, that meant green rooms. Now we know the gender of this one (boy) and I don't want a blue room (tired of blue from my 8yo son) or definitely green. But no way I will get yellow to fly with my husband!!

When pregnant with our first I bought my husband a dad's guide to pregnancy. It was horrible! I can't remember some of the advice, but it was written probably 25 years ago and was just terribly opinionated.

I still have my Dr. Sears Pregnancy book and while I don't read it, I have used it for reference with this one.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 12:10pm

Oh and I was going to comment on the water breaking at night. For my second, it did break at night, while in bed. I don't know what it was with a mom's instinct, but I recall feeling it break (like a snap), jumping up out of bed and not a single drop in bed. All next to the bed. ;-) It seemed like slow motion at the time, but in reality I know it was probably the fastest I had ever moved.

Oh and believe me, I WANTED that towel in the car on the way to the hospital for my own comfort!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 12:11pm

edit - appears to have double posted for some reason, but I have no controls to delete my own post it appears.

Oh and I was going to comment on the water breaking at night. For my second, it did break at night, while in bed. I don't know what it was with a mom's instinct, but I recall feeling it break (like a snap), jumping up out of bed and not a single drop in bed. All next to the bed. ;-) It seemed like slow motion at the time, but in reality I know it was probably the fastest I had ever moved.

Oh and believe me, I WANTED that towel in the car on the way to the hospital for my own comfort!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 1:06pm

LOL.  My water broke laying on the couch!  I got really lucky though, I had started having some bleeding that morning, just the normal "bloody show"  so I was wearing protection which allowed me to jump off the couch before enough water came out to get on anything.  LOL.  

As for books, I loved Belly Laughs!!  Unfortunately, I passed on my pregnancy books to my sister in law when she got pregnant, so now I can't reread them even though I want to :(

Jennifer