Whatcha Readin'?

iVillage Member
Whatcha Readin'?
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 2:40am

Maybe you started reading about the birthing process a while ago, but I've been mainly focused on pregnancy, feeding, and the first years. I've decided I *should* do some reading about childbirth itself now that it is drawing near. Have you been doing any reading in this area? If so, what?

I am currently reading The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-24-2013 - 2:07am

Interesting! I worked part tiem in the school last year, and part time at home teaching piano. I was ready for a career change, so I decided to go full time teaching piano at home. I am also doing infant music classes, which is really fun! It has been a good move, even with a pay cut, and I am happy. I think it will be much easier with the baby, too, as I can flex my schedule and hire a sitter to come here.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-22-2013 - 8:35am

I work part time as a school nurse for autistic and spectrum kids--in 2 buildings that cover ages 3-21.  I am the field trip nurse and go on their monthly activity trips and the CBI's for middle school, secondary and young adult if they have a kid who requires a nurse (diabetic, seizure, etc).

Alice

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-22-2013 - 8:12am
Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure what is going on!! LOL. My little girl is moving just fine though so I'm not too worried about something being wrong. Just worried about preterm labor. My sister had preterm labor with my niece and it was scary. I do ABA therapy and we work a lot with verbal behavior. It is a fun and rewarding job. It can just be stressful at times!! I took my board exam about 4 weeks ago to become a board certified behavior analyst, just waiting for the score. Less than 50% of people that take the exam pass it, so I'm a little worried!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 5:29pm

I'm taking two classes online and one on campus, about 40 minutes away. I'm missing the on campus class today, because I'm not breathing well and don't feel that driving there wearing a constricting seatbelt is a good idea. So lots of reading and writing for the two online classes and practicing (piano), instead.

My former career was Speech-Language Pathology. A former colleague who is still in the field told me she doesn't remember how she got through the last few weeks of pregnancy while working, but that she must have done it. She ended up going on on maternity leave 2 weeks before and having the baby the following day!

Let's see if this picture comes through. It's a page from the 4th Edition of Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: The Complete Guide, by Penny Simkin et al. It just came in the mail and seems to be fairlly comprehensive. Hope it is helpful!

Attachment: 

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 2:06pm
I was working on my Master's Degree when I was pregnant with my son! It was really tough. I missed 1 class when he was born and was back at it the next week!! Exhausting!!! I'm up and down all day at work. I work with developmentally disabled children, mostly autism, and it is very unpredictable. Sometimes it is a laid back day where everyone cooperates and sometimes it isn't. Yesterday I had two clients that were very trying and wore me out. I was off this morning but I do have 1 client this afternoon. If I start having contractions again at work I might have to rethink the stress and my plan to work up until delivery!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 1:50pm

Glad the contractions have stopped. Are you on your feet at work? 'm finding that it is good to have a job where I can sit, stand and stretch quite a bit during work time. Taking two classes (both reading-intensive) to be finished by the end of March might not have been the best idea, however!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 11:36am
Good news is no more contractions this morning. I decided to just take it easy and relax until I go to work at 2. I think I may be overdoing it with working 30 hours a week and chasing a 2 year old. My son goes to work with me so I'm essentially working 2 jobs, my paid one and mommy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 3:58am

Wow, Jennifer. Take care of yourself and let your medical team know what is happening. Let us know how you are doing in the morning.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 8:00pm
I'm not currently reading any books, but i've been scouring the internet for information out Braxton Hicks vs real contractions. I never had Braxton Hicks with my son, and I'm feeling them this time. I've had some really painful ones today, and wondering if I should be worried!! Jennifer