Another Breathing Scare with Megan..and a cute pic

iVillage Member
Another Breathing Scare with Megan..and a cute pic
Wed, 04-24-2013 - 9:46am

Well we thought Megan had worked out her breathing problems, but we were wrong.  Saturday night she was drinking her bottle like normal and just stopped and spit it out.  She had only taken about half of what she normally takes.  I noticed her nostrils flaring a little so I sat her up.  My sister was about 10 feet away from me and could hear Megan breathing.  We also noticed her whole body seemed to be moving when she breathed.  I woke my husband up and he came and looked at her and said he thought she was fine and went back to bed.  I wasn't convinced and I was scared.  My sister and I watched her for a few more minutes and I yelled for my husband to get back up.  I laid her down and unzipped her sleeper and her whole chest was retracting with each breath.  She was breathing really fast too.  I was terrified and not sure what to do.  I took her back from my husband and all of a sudden it all stopped and she was breathing normal again.  It was once she was breathing normal again that I realized just how hard she was breathing before.  I called our after hours pediatrican number for advice on if we should go to the ER or not, since she was breathing normal again and they can catch so much just from being in the ER.  The on call doc was really nice, I even broke down crying on the phone!  She said since Megan was only 3 days old, she needed to be seen by a doc immediately.  If she were older then they would have just seen her in the office the next morning.  We went to the ER and they took us straight back once we told them what had happened.  The hooked Megan up to a heart monitor and an oxygen monitor for an hour and everything looked good.  The doc came in and checked her out and told us that she was still really congested from birth and that was still what was causing the breathing issues.  They suctioned her out and gave us saline to take home and instructed us to suction her nose a few times a day until this all passed.  They were really quick to discharge us and said that we needed to get Megan out of there before she caught something, but assured us we did the right thing by bringing her.

We had our first check up with our regular Ped yesterday and she said Megan is a healthy baby girl. She said her heart and lungs sound perfect and there doesn't seem to be any real issues there.  She said that the congestion Megan is experiencing usually clears up with in a week to a week and a half after birth.  Thankfully we have not had another episode of breathing problems since Saturday night.  She did start breathing hard on sunday but I suctioned her nose with the saline drops and she started breathing normally again.

I am attaching a pic since I didn't attach one to her birth story.

Upload a File: 

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-26-2013 - 7:45am

How scary!  I'm so glad you trusted your instincts and called/went in to the ER.  So glad to hear that she's doing well and is perfectly healthy.  She's absolutely adorable! 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-26-2013 - 2:59pm
wow you are really going through it! hope all the gunk clears up soon! she is beautiful, & all that hair! i thought lily had a lot!