Megan Lee has arrived

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-19-2009
Megan Lee has arrived
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 5:04pm

Megan arrived on Wednesday April 17th, at 819 am after only 6 1/2 hours of labor!!

I went to the midwife on Tuesday and agreed to be induced Tuesday night at midnight.  My baby was measuring large and if we waited too much longer, there was a possiblilty that I was going to end up in a c-section, which I didn't want.  We got to the hospital a little before midnight and the paperwork began!!  It took an hour and a half to do the paperwork before they could even start the pitocin.  I was scared of the pain of being induced, but it really wasn't bad at all.  

I was dialated to 3 when I arrived at the hospital.  They told me I could get my epidural any time I wanted as long as there was some cervical change.  I slept for the first couple of hours.  When I woke up the contractions were starting to get painful, but were tolerable.  Then they kind of hit me and I was can I get that epidural now??  I was dialated to 5 so they started my epidural.  By the time they finished putting it in and I laid back down i was at 7.  That was about 7 to 715 am.  My midwife got there a few minutes later to check on things.  She was expecting a baby around lunch time,   Then they told her I was already at 7cm.  she was shocked and checked me again to make sure.  Sure enough, I was 7.  She broke my water.  She said she had to go discharge a patient and would be right back.  Well, about 10 minutes later I had an intense urge to push.  They called my midwife back to the room to check me again.  She checked and sure enough, it was time.  She had me push one time and made me stop so she could get her gown on!  She told the nurse if they wanted to attend this birth they better get to the room ASAP.  I push through 3 contractions and the midwife was holding my little girl!!

Megan did not cry when she was born.  They could not get her to start breathing well on her own.  as soon as the cord stopped pulsing the cut the cord and took her over to the warmer to worn on her breathing.  They started using a bag mask to breath for her and I was scared to death!  They they said that her heart rate was dropping.  Panic time for mom!!  My midwife was great though.  She told the nurses that if baby's heartrate was dropping that they better "Invite the doctor to join them NOW!"  My labor nurse called for the doc.  Megan's heart rate went back up pretty quick once they were breathing for her.  My midwife delivered my placenta then immediately went over to help Megan until the doc could get there.  She suctioned her out using the real suction, not the little bulb, and she started breathing on her own.  Turns out she was choking on some mucus from delivery.  by the time the doc got there, which was just a few minutes, they had her stabilized.  It was really scarey for my husband and I.  The doc stayed with her for a while and made sure she was breathing well then they broght her to me to hold.  She is perfect!!  The doc explained to us what had happened and that Megan was fine and could stay in the room with us.  I was still nervous about the breathing thing so the doc agreed to put her on an oxygen monitor in the room with us for a few hours.  We got to hold her the whole time and they never took her out of the room.  They even gave her her first bath in the room with us and let us take pictures.

Once my Epidural wore off they got us moved out of L&D and over to post partum.  Then the scares started again!  Megan started choking and coughing.  I thought maybe she was just spitting up, the bubbles coming out of her mouth were white like formula.  But it didn't seem right.  I picked her up and she stopped.  I went to put her back down and she seemed to panic.  She flailed her arms and legs but wasn't crying.  I picked her right back up and she calmed back down.  We called the nurse to the room and told her what was going on.  She took her to the nursery to check her vitals, etc, but said she wasn't really worried.  When the got her to the nursery she flailed her arms and legs again with a panic on her face but again didn't cry.  Once the saw it they figured out she was choking again.  She still had mucus in her nasal passages and it was going down her throat and choking her.  They decided to keep her in the nursery overnight because they didn't want her unattended while we slept because she wasn't crying with the choking.  They brought her to us for every feeding and let me hold her as long as I wanted but when I was ready to go to sleep she had to go back to the nursery.  We were finally able to get the mucus pretty much cleared up with saline drops in her little nose and she is breathing much better.  THEN she started having diareah and spitting up a lot.  The doc came to the room to see her and said she wasn't really concerned about it.  She started doing her exam and Megan started to spit up, but it didn't come up.  She heard the gurgling and saw Megan's face and said she has acid reflux.  We started her on Zantac and changed her to sensitive formula.  The spitting up stopped immediately and the diareah stopped within a few hours of changing formula.

So, after a very eventful hospital stay, Megan and I are home.  Megan seems to have worked out everything and is doing well.  I'm glad this all happened at the hospital, and not after we got home!!  We are a little nervous about leaving her unattended while we sleep because of the choking, but she hasn't had a choking incident in over 24 hours and the mucus is cleared up, so I'm trying to convince myself that she will be fine!!

I have lots of pics, but none on my computer so I will post one when I can


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-06-2004
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 10:02pm

Wow! What a story! Glad everything is ok and you are home!!!!!


Avatar for cmkristy
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-05-2005
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 8:58am

Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl!  Welcome to the world, Megan Lee! 

 photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-27-2011
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 1:47pm

wow, what a scary hospital stay! glad she is doing better. congrats!

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-17-1999
Wed, 04-24-2013 - 2:34am

Wow! What a story. Glad all is OK, and she was able to go home with you!


winter 2010 siggy