My 15 min labor at home

iVillage Member
My 15 min labor at home
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 10:22am

Baby Ahmad, 7lbs, 12 oz was born yesterday (4/27) at 12:33pm at home.  Here's the scoop:  

Well after walking around for 3 weeks dilated to 4/5 cm my midwife informed me that if the baby didn't come by monday then my hopes of a home birth would have to change and I'd be off to the hospital for an induction.  Well, today, my oldest daughter rubbed my belly and said, "I wish your water would just break and the baby would come."  Instantly (no joke!) I felt a pop off on my left side, followed by a massive contraction and then I felt like I peed in my pants just a little.  So I hopped up to change my clothes and when going to the bathroom I decided to sit on the toilet and a ton of "pee" came out.  Then I stood up and had more come down my legs and onto the floor.  I noticed the "pee" was blood tinged just a bit and that's when it dawned on me that my water broke.  I darted out the bathroom and hopped onto my bed (as I had put plastic under the sheets for this very reason) and didn't want to soil the carpet.  My DH called the midwife and she said she'd be there in 30 mins.  Well, my contractions went from 0 to 60 in literally seconds.  I labored on my hands and knees as I couldn't imagine laying on my back until I started to feel a bit pushy 5 mins later.  DH called the midwife back and said get here quick cause the baby's coming.  Luckily, she was in the area (though she lived 30 mins away) and was seeing another patient in walking distance from me. When the midwife found out that birth was close she hot tailed it over and got here 5 mins before the baby came.  DH was running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  I was changing my demands of him from "don't touch me" to "hold me" to "get towels" to "don't leave me" poor guy!  Anyhow, I flipped onto my back hoping to slow things down and wait for the midwife before delivering and she walked in and I breathed a sigh of relief and started pushing involuntarily.  Two pushes and he was out.  Total laboring time from start to finish was a mere 15 mins!  I can't believe it.  Yesterday, I was depressed and moping about how he'd never come despite all my induction efforts and lo and behold I'm holding him today.  

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 10:37am

Wow, it is amazing how things happen when baby is ready!  I went from 7 to 10 almost immediately when my midwife broke my water and Megan was born within about 20 minutes.  I only pushed through 3 contractions!  I'm so glad you got your homebirth!  I know what it is like to have your heart set on a particular birth plan and  then find out it might not work out!  Congrats!!  Post a pic when you get a chance!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 4:01pm

Wow!  So I guess all the annoyance of waiting for labor was worth it! So happy for you that you didn't have to be induced!

Alice

Alice

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 7:03am

Wow!  What a story!  Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy.  Welcome to the world, Ahmad. 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 11:23am
I am so happy for you and glad its all over for you. God Bless and good luck to you and your family. Midwives are wonderful!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 11:32am
wow, congrats!!