2013 Flu Season

iVillage Member
2013 Flu Season
Fri, 01-11-2013 - 10:26am

Getting sick during your pregnancy is no fun any time of year, but during flu season -- which is here in full force -- moms-to-be need to take extra precautions to avoid catching the virus.

Pregnant women are more likely to get the flu and to have severe complications from it, thanks in part to the decreased immunity that pregnancy causes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). What's more, having the flu while pregnant may increase your risk of premature labor and delivery.

With 80 percent of the country now reporting influenza outbreaks, it's critical that pregnant women know how to prevent and treat the flu. Here's what you need to know.

http://www.ivillage.com/pregnant-why-you-should-get-flu-shot/6-a-278226

Did you/will you get the flu vaccine?  Anyone here been sick with the flu yet this season? 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 4:08am

I usually do get a flu shot. I didn't this year, but they are offering them again. I may go yet. I have had congestion and a dry cough that is more a part of pregnancy and allergy, but that is all. I just have to drink water--a LOT of water all day long, and keep a water bottle by my bed.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 7:21pm
I work with kids too. One of my kids was diagnosed with strep throat today....I worked 1 on 1 with him just yesterday.....ughhh!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 10:58am

I can relate to being so tired, all I have done for the past 9 days is lay in bed or sit in the recliner.  I too have been thirsty all the time, I just attribute it to the fact that I can't breathe thru my nose so my mouth is open and always dry.

I'm still home today even though I don't get paid when I don't work--but I work in a school and am worried that not only will pushing myself make this last longer but I will pick up something else on top of it.

Alice

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 9:11am

The fever is gone, but I'm still having cold sweats, cough and bad congestion and a headache!  Oh and fatigue!  I have my routine checkup with my midwife tomorrow and I'm going to see what she says.  I really just want a little relief.  Unfortunately I had to go back to work once the fever was gone because I don't have sick leave so I wasn't getting paid for the 3 days I did take off.  Really hoping the Midwife doesn't send me to the hospital.  I'm drinking all I can and still feel like I might be a little dehydrated :(

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-14-2013 - 6:47am

If you have a fever and cough and are worried it's getting worse you should be seen by someone to make sure it's not bronchitis or pneumonia.

I am on day 9 of aches, headache, congestion and lethargy--but I haven't had a fever and I only had a bad cough the beginning of last week--now it's just all in my head and nose.

Alice

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-13-2013 - 7:09am

I did not get the flue shot this time around. :(  kind of wishing I did

I have been sick for 8 days now.  The fever, body aches, chills, coughing lasted for about 4 days.  Now I have a really bad cough and congestion, a sore throat (probably from coughing so much) and a headache that won't go away.  Called my GP and he didn't have any appointments so they took down all my symptoms and stuff and gave the info to the nurse to call me back.  She talked to the doc and called back and said there is absolutely nothing they can do because I'm pregnant.  So I called my midwife, she said nothing they can do and go to the ER.  I refuse to go to the ER for this, so here I sit...sick and miserable.  I'm afraid it is turning into bronchitis or pneumonia, but no one seems to want to listen...because I'm pregnant!!  Can you tell I'm a little frustrated!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-11-2013 - 12:12pm

I did get a flu shot back in October.

And I believe I have the flu, now--I don't have a fever--but I have all the other symptoms and have been home in bed/resting since Saturday.   Thankfully my congestion started in my chest but moved to my head so there is no concern of pneumonia or anything like that and with no fever there are no worries about the baby--I am just pushing fluids and resting as much as possible.

Alice