Blood Pressure Scare!!

iVillage Member
Blood Pressure Scare!!
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 1:21pm

I started having feet and hand swelling a few days ago.  Not bad at all, but there just the same.  I started to have mild headaches and threw up 3 times and got a little scared.  So I went to a local grocery store with a blood preassure machine and checked.  It was 139/80 something.  This is really high for me.  I decided I would call my midwife in the morning.  Well this morning I felt horrible still but the swelling was about gone, so I swung back by the store and checked my BP again, 153/70 something.  I almost cried.  I had an appointment with my chiropracter and knew she had a better machine, so I had her check it.  Hers said 135 over 82.  My BP is usually in the  110's/70's.  So at this point I was scared.  I called my midwife and broke down in tears on the phone.  (Darn hormones!!)  She had me come in immediately and checked my urine for protien and my BP.  Well, no protien and my BP at he office was 109/70.  Thank GOD!  But how can these machines all be so different??  I know the store ones may not be accurate, but the chiropractors should be.  Oh well, I guess the one that matters is the midwife's.  Is anyone else starting to worry about EVERYTHING.  I don't know if it is just because delivery is close and I don't really feel ready or if it is homones or what, but I'm driving myself CRAZY!  (I think I'm driving my DH crazy too, LOL)

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 4:21pm

It may or may not be the machines---your blood pressure fluctuates normally--but high blood pressure is not the only symptom of pre-eclampsia--I was pre-eclamptic with my 1st and when my blood pressure and symptoms came back they delivered my 2nd early at 34 weeks.  So I too am worried about pre-eclampsia even though I have lost 1/2 my body weight and my blood pressure is WAY lower than it ever was even at the beginning of my 1st two pregnancies.

Alice

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 4:32pm

Should also add that with pre-eclampsia my blood pressure stayed elevated continuously even when resting on my left side (the position it's suppose to be lowest in)

Alice

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 2:23am

I've been just exhausted several days this past week. My mom was concerned about my blood pressure, so I went to a drug store and checked it at one of those machines on Sunday. I checked twice, then walked around a bit and checked again. It was normal for me (90s/60s), so I decided I wouldn't worry about that.

winter 2010 siggy