Book daycare NOW!!

iVillage Member
Book daycare NOW!!
Thu, 09-06-2012 - 8:42pm
Take it from a BTDT mom! If you're planning on daycare for this baby check with your preferred daycare now and reserve a spot! I just asked for info on reserving a spot for this baby at my DS's daycare and there isn't a spot available until September 2013! Yikes! I'm trying not to freak out about it (planning on returning to work in June) but not quite sure what the heck we'll do until September. Other not so pleasant news is the cost for two kids, $2800/month. Sheesh.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 10:30am
It can give you headache for sure. But from someone who had worked in many different daycares (with infants). I can tell you if your daycare has a waiting list you have found an awesome daycare! also something you might not want to hear, but the more expensive the better the daycare. Not saying a cheaper one has bad care. But it's true you get what you pay for. I've worked in really cheap daycare and top notch ones. Just my 2 cents
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 10:38am

I think the waiting list thing depends on where you live.  When I lived outside Hartford, CT I heard horror stories of waiting lists and women registering before they were even pregnant....and my friend who lives outside of D.C. is also having trouble with waiting lists at her preferred daycare centers.....but around here (about 30 minutes west of Philadelphia) we haven't had any issues with waiting lists. 

I was planning to tell daycare at the end of 1T to reserve a spot for this baby and was hoping I'd get priority because DD already attends.  Hmmmm.....maybe I'll talk to DH and we'll tell them earlier, just in case....but there wasn't a list with DD so i wouldn't expect one now (this baby would likely start in early July - DD started in early August). 

If you live in a major city though (or outside one) I definitely think this is a consideration and not something to wait on!

ETA: Our costs for DD is $1150 per month (toddler room), I'm guessing for two it will be @ $2400 (I know we get a multi-kid discount for having two there & before a recent price increase infant care was $1280 per month).  We'll see what they say when I register baby #2.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:18am

When you look at it hourly it doesn't seem nealy as bad:

DD is at daycare 7-4 (sometimes a little later depending on our schedules with work)....so we'll call that 9 hours a day

This month has 20 days in which she'll attend daycare - so 180 hours total

We pay $1150 a month (for her) - which amounts to $6.40 per hour.......now the $1150 a month is discounted because of our employer, but regularly it would cost $1275 (which is still only $7.08 per hour)

If you can find a babysitter for less than that I'd be impressed!  I realize there are other things to factor in to the "cost" equation of daycare, but whenever I get upset thinking of the total monthly/yearly cost of it I break it down to hourly rate and I feel much better. 

I left DD for 2.5 hours the other day with a family friend and I gave the girl $25......$10/hour.....so daycare looks great compared to that!!!