Breastfeeding: What's Your Plan?

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding: What's Your Plan?
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 9:04am

Break out the nursing bras! More moms are saying yes to the breast.

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows the number of women breastfeeding their babies increased from 70.3 percent to 74.6 percent between 2000 and 2008, while rates for women who breast-fed for six months rose from 34.5 percent to 44.4 percent, and breastfeeding for 12 months grew from 16 percent to 23.4 percent.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends "exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant."

http://www.ivillage.com/cdc-report-shows-more-women-are-breastfeeding-babies/6-a-521192

What is your plan?  Will you be breastfeeding baby?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-03-2013 - 2:14pm
Yes, I will be breastfeeding my son. With my #1, I have exclusively breastfed her until 5 months since I was just staying at home. She was introduced to formula milk at 5 months (mix), cerelac food at 6 months, with continued breastfeeding. I think we stopped it at around 10 months because I was already feeling like I lost so much weight and got weak and felt sickly.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 4:15am

nil

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 4:12am

I'm really hoping to be able to nurse. My mother and grandmother were unable to nurse (and my mom was one of 7 children). My sister didn't nurse, but that was due to complications which required extended medications for the first several weeks postpartum. The other day, after accompanying me to the store for yet another round of underthings (hoping this is all I will need to buy), my mom said her breasts never changed size during pregnancy, and her milk never came in. I'm not starting to leak or anything yet--hoping to have different results than other family members.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-17-2013 - 2:38pm
Guess I'm the odd one out here. I will be bottle feeding. I tried to nurse with my son. We stuck it out for 10 days and I never got any milk. He lost weight, was jaundice, wasn't sleeping because he was hungry. It just wasn't an option to continue as my milk never came in. We nursed, then I pumped for 20 minutes. We supplemented a little with a seringe as to not mess up his latch. But it just didn't work.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-17-2013 - 1:18am

Yep, I'm a big nurser.  Nursed all my kids until around age two (of course supplemented with foods by that age) but my last kid I weaned at 1 yr as he had severe allergies to foods I was eating that got to him through my milk and I couldn't handle the elimination dieting pass that year.  So he went on a special formula (ToddlerHealth) and I dried up at that point.  So, I miss the experience and all and look forward to nursing this LO.  I agree that it is MUCH easier than bottles but I still bought some bottles to pump into.  But nursing is definitely not for everyone and is difficult at times (esp. first time I found down right painful the first few weeks).  LLL is highly recommended and got me thru the hard times with my 4th (who wasn't gaining properly and I thought he had latch problems, palate issues, etc and they reassured me that all was well with nursing but it was rather an allergy issue).  Hope all that want to nurse are successful.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 5:13am

I have no idea what happened here; the post looks blank to me.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 10:43am

i plan on breast feeding. i tried with my oldest, but there were issues and there was no support around here so he ended up on formula at a month old. this time around i am very determined to stick it out. i have a lot more resources for help than i did 3 years ago and i am a lot more determined to stick it out and make it work. i'm gonna be pumping as well. i'm super close to finishing school and need to go back to classes this summer so i'll start pumping when the time comes

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 8:06am

I'm  a big believer in breastfeeding--too cheap to buy formula and too much work to make and keep bottles clean etc.  And I nursed both my boys with out issue.  I know it's not for everyone and if I was returning to work and having to pump all the time I would be reconsidering formula.  I did give one of my boys some formula as he was a premie and I was suppose to nurse and give him a bottle and I tried pumping for the bottle and developed an infection so ended up nursing and then giving formula till he was big enough to just nurse.

Alice